TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any steering columns that are interchangeable with the 95 bird?

Can these be rebuilt, or is that not necessary?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
bump.. :) I've got a problem with one as well.

Whatever it is that connects the ignition lock cylinder to the ignition switch (looks like a yellow nylon/plastic rod) has broken. Looks like the pin that connects the joint where the wheel tilts has either fallen out or broken. I can barely even see in there, let alone get in and replace/repair it. Is it feasible to separate the two sections of the steering column at that tilting joint? Is it even possible? Is it safer/easier to just replace the entire column? (I have a spare one... believe it or not. lol)

One other note... How do I remove the Blown Airbag?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The broken ignition switch linkage is discussed in several threads around here. My daughter called one night frantic because my car would not shut off.

The general opinion expressed in the other threads was it is easier to simply swap the entire column. That was the route I took, and I haven't regretted it.

I've only removed undeployed airbags from steering wheels, so I do not know if there's anything special to do for a deployed one.

btw, don't feel bad about the spare column. I eventually bought another one of these cars, so I picked up another column from a pick-n-pull when I spotted one in good shape for cheap. I still have the original column with the broken linkage, swearing that I'll fix it, but probably won't. Until then, I have two steering columns standing up in my office behind my office chair.

Don't even get me started on why I have two complete sets of seats sitting with them.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've been studying the columns (both the one that's on the workbench and the one in the car) and I've been leaning toward just replacing the column. I'm not too concerned about protocols for blown airbags... just don't know what the &*^( holds them in.

and spare parts I never feel bad about.. I have a shed full of them, even after donating several to the guy who bought my Thunderbird GT. (The present problem is my wife's 97 Sport)

One other thing I've noticed.. It seems that most of the people that have posted with this issue, the part broke while the car was running. I've had it happen twice and both times it happened while starting the car, but before it actually fired up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's a thread about removing the whole steering wheel, which involves removal of the airbag.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=116540

My first thought of how to kill the running car was to disconnect the negative battery cable - no dice. I grabed the owners manual and found the layout for the relay box under the hood. Pulling the fuel pump relay takes care things.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I read that thread... Was helpful thank you. I got the wheel removed, and am ready to pull the column tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that I can get everything back together again!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Got the steering column replaced... was an easier task than I thought it would be. Thanks for all the help. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts