TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, for awhile now my steering has been very stiff. It's hard to turn the wheel and around corners the wheel only returns a little bit, I have to crank it back around the rest. Theres no noise or anything coming from the suspension or steering so it's hard to tell whats wrong. The only sound is the power steering working when you crank the wheel. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
That can be a tough one since there are a lot of different things that can impact the steering.

I'd check the following:
Obviously a check for worn/binding parts (ball joints, rack/pinion, steering coupling, etc)
Alignment (caster is what will make a wheel return straight after a turn)
Is the power steering pump EVO plugged in? (The variable rate boost may be having a problem)

That’s just some thing to check. But it sounds like it should definitely be looked into… steering is “fairly important” to driving. :leftright

Good luck and let us know what you find. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, turns out my passenger side lower ball joint was dry, I pumped some grease into it but the steering is still stiff. Also, where is that EVO located? Right below the fuse box I noticed there is a wiring harness that is disconnected, I couldnt find where it connects too though, could that be it? I plan to get both driver side and passenger lower control arms when I can afford them. Thanks alot....

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The EVO is mounted directly on the side of the power steering pump. It's just a two pronged plug (I think). And the harness would be right under the large fuse box and plugs into the pump/EVO. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Also check your tie rod ends - if you can wiggle the steering wheel back and forth slightly and it doesnt seem to react very well, they may be worn also.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
probably not the EVO since it's design to fail to full assist.

·
Registered
600 Posts
thats how my car was, and then the wheel broke off. be careful. it was really hard to turn the wheel like for a week. then one day going straight the car fell on the floor. the lower ball joint in the front right wheel broke off, so the tire could be picked up off the ground. i think thats whats going on with your car. hope this helps

·
Registered
709 Posts
I found my 4.6 and my friends 4.6 didn't really return to straight and where a bit harder to turn than my older 3.8 NA. I tell ya that 3.8 was soooo easy to turn around a corner and then it zipped right back to you coming out of the turn. I figured this was just normal as they have different steering and more weight over the front. But mabie its this lame EVO thing. Hmm... something to check!

Jake

·
Registered
132 Posts
Increasing positive caster can also help this. Maybe try lengthening the strut rod at the frame about 2 threads at a time and see if it doesn't help this.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Eric, I took the car in to see what a few mechanics had to say, 2 of em agreed it was the ball joint. They then quoted me 800 CDN to change it... after I got off the floor from laughing at that quote I got my car out of there and only drive it when necesary until I can change both my lower control arms. Lower control arms are relatively easy to change in your driveway with an impact wrench so that's next on the to do list.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
im glad you found your problem, but i just thought i'd give my .02 to anyone that stil has a steering issue......negative camber; looks somthing like this (if you're looking at the front of the car) /---\ more commonly seen on riceburners, can result in hard steering.....just think of it this way.... if you stand with your legs together like this l l someone could easily push you over correct? so if you have positive camber like this \---/ the cars "legs" are closer together so it is too responsive and wandery, whereas if you stand with your legs spread apart like this / \ it is much harder for someone to push you over, so a car with negative camber /---\ is more stable yet harder to steer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
99.9999% is ball joint.
I had the exactly same thing on my V6; it dropped the left lower ball joint when my wife drove it in a parking lot. Very scared, we had a long trip a day before.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Audiobahnbird said:
im glad you found your problem, but i just thought i'd give my .02 to anyone that stil has a steering issue......negative camber; looks somthing like this (if you're looking at the front of the car) /---\ more commonly seen on riceburners, can result in hard steering.....just think of it this way.... if you stand with your legs together like this l l someone could easily push you over correct? so if you have positive camber like this \---/ the cars "legs" are closer together so it is too responsive and wandery, whereas if you stand with your legs spread apart like this / \ it is much harder for someone to push you over, so a car with negative camber /---\ is more stable yet harder to steer.
Actually, it isn't necessarily more stable, but when the car is in a corner, the inside tire (with less weight on it) is pushed straighter up or down so it has a larger contact patch. Otherwise racecars would have high negative camber.

The reason cars with high negative camber have stiff steering is because they have that high negative camber from being lowered improperly. This has also caused the caster to become neutral or worse.

Cars with too much positive camber are easy to steer because the tires are not riding on their full contact patch and ride worse in cornering. Cars with negative caster and bent control arms are wandery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
power steering

1994 bird has been acting squirly on turns...freeways ramps...e.t.c...anytime u make a turn...car is great on open road and turns opwerates very good.It acts as if it over correcting it self...like it has the jitters....That electricalk plug on side of p/steering pump.....tht must be for the assist...what an EVO???Is ther anything I can to repair /adjust this ????car has brand new tires and rides great.
I also heard this componet is in my trunk...any info would be super..thnx guys

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
After re-reading several times, I think I understand what you're asking.

1) Have you had the car aligned with a 4-wheel thrust alignment recently? I would start there.

2) EVO = Electrically Variable Orifice - it's where a computer (the component under the package tray in the back) adjusts how much power steering boost is available.

3) However, the power assist won't affect the self-centering, that's an effect of how much caster it has. Sounds like yours is positive, which it shouldn't be.

Which 3 says you need to get the alignment checked on the car. And since the rear end affects the front alignment, you should get all four wheels in the alignment.

Just as a note - Firestone has a lifetime alignment for the car, although at about $180 it's a bit pricey.

RwP

·
Registered
29 Posts
bird/jitters

thnx ralph for the comeback and info....glad u did cause I was sure it was tht assist thing on bird....I'am going to disconnect it from steering pump as a test and see how she does on exit ramps long turns...

·
Registered
204 Posts
My car is doing this exact thing. I already know I have a bad ball joint on the right side along with a busted front spring on the right side. I had the left side ball joint fixed bause it was real bad. Look like I need to get this ride in the shop soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had left upper control arm replaced still needs right upper, front springs and struts rear shocks, front strut rod bushing at control arm and align. This is from my repair bill. So these all out of wack prob is my issue???? Should I not drive the car??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts