TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing I'm not the only one experiencing really loose almost effortless steering. I've only had my 94 LX for a few months and I would like to do something to get more feeling in the steering column.

At the moment it doesn't feel all that safe. Can I do anything about this problem or is this easy steering something I need to be getting used to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of loose. I always thought the Tbird was a little over powered. It is not like my Trans Am and more like my Town Car. Be sure nothing is loose in your steering. I don't think there is any choice other than stock when getting a new steering rack.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Don't forget that these cars have variable assist steering. If something goes wrong with the system it defaults to full assist all the time. The rack is actually a pretty respopnsive unit 2.5 turns lock to lock so I doubt you are going to buy anything quicker than that

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
First, make sure nothing it wrong. My '97 doesn't have variable assist, and I dont' find it over-boosted at all.

If it turns out nothing is wrong, and it's just too much assist for your taste, you're out of luck. There's no way, short of spending big money, to change it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My dad had his steering rack (and a few other things) replaced about 40k miles ago. I'm not sure what parts he had replaced with what, or how it was adjusted, but his steering is a lot tighter than the Cougars'.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If you really want to chage the effort you could get a Heidts valve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is a Heidts Valve?

Thanks to everyone who's replied. Yes, it feels far too over powered. Much more so than old Mustang's and even a Mark VIII that I've had in the past. Seems as though everything 's working great.

Can you tell me about the Heidts value and how much they cost? WIll it allow me to adjust the power assist? Are the hard to install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
i didnt like the feel of the setup either...its more for cruising and luxury than carving a road. I no longer have power streering the car is now fun to drive lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hate the steering in my cougar, its too responsive, if I turn the wheel a quarter inch by accident when I move my hand it practically does a 90 degree turn, it drives me nuts. My brakes are too touchy as well, when I tap them I'm practically going through the windshield, I do like the touchy throttle though its just not touchy enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts