TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone drove both a 3.8 and a 4.6 and notised that the steering effort was higher on the 4.6? I have had 13 mn12s and this is my first 4.6. The car runs perfect but has a small engine vibration only when in gear after it warms up and the steering is a little harder. I just installed a new pump and high pressure line
(leaking) and no change. Its not hard but still feels diffent then its V6 counterpart.

·
Registered
619 Posts
hmm well i noticed that on cold mornings the steering effort is much greater than when its warm. Maybe its time for a power steering flush for me? the pump is making the typical ford PS noise...its hard to describe.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It could be the EVO system if none of your other cars had that. Is it at certain speeds that it is harder, or all around? The car is also heavier than the 3.8's I believe.

Stephen

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have had all 3 types of birds ( 3.8 na, 4.6, 3.8sc) 4.6 is a little harder to stear flowed by the sc. i think it is a wight thing also 4.6 and sc have adjustable stering.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have had all 3 types of birds ( 3.8 na, 4.6, 3.8sc) 4.6 is a little harder to stear flowed by the sc. i think it is a wight thing also 4.6 and sc have adjustable stering.
Thats what I was thinking but the 4.6 has a all together different pump so that might be it also. Its just a little harder than the SC`s and V6 LX`s. The pressure line on the rack is a joke to get to. I dropped the rack to get to the fitting. It still needed to be pryed down to get to it. Lot more quarters in the swear jar. As long as it dont leak im happy. Thanks for the insight guys.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i hope they're suppose to swivel, couse they did when i was done with it, i havnt tested it yet for leaks because i removed the oil filter and i didn't want to put that one back on, it took me all day to change that damn thing .

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, both the pump side and rack side swivel on mine. i didnt remove the oil filter as it just had a change but you should be ok. To anyone who replaces a pressure line on one of these you should receive a metal after doing this job. Thats if it dont leak afterwords:rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
i hope they're suppose to swivel, couse they did when i was done with it, i havnt tested it yet for leaks because i removed the oil filter and i didn't want to put that one back on, it took me all day to change that damn thing .
the oil filter on a 4.6 has a trick to it. it has been a few years since i had 1, insert it upside down through that little hole hafe way up it rotats then will find its way where you need it. a real pain in the a**:rolleyes:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the oil filter on a 4.6 has a trick to it. it has been a few years since i had 1, insert it upside down through that little hole hafe way up it rotats then will find its way where you need it. a real pain in the a**:rolleyes:
We were talking about the power steering pressure line that was so bad to replace. Oil filters are fun too but not near as bad as this line.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know how much that one sucks too. i had to chang out everything stering a few months ago when i bought the 35th. rack, ends, pump, and lines. was a little easyer since i was doing motor mounts to, had room to work the top and the bottom at once. still no fun with the lower ic tube there.

·
Registered
619 Posts
mine is only hard to steer like when i first start it up in the morning and im pulling out of the driveway, after the first turn of the wheel its normal feeling.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i took the oil filter off , trying to get more room for my hands and wrenches, is there any special tools to make that job easier, i hope i never have to do it again, i used a baby cresent wrench, and baby pliers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i took the oil filter off , trying to get more room for my hands and wrenches, is there any special tools to make that job easier, i hope i never have to do it again, i used a baby cresent wrench, and baby pliers.
Some line wrenches is all that come to mind or a buddy that likes to get his hands dirty to unbolt the rack:D Also to pull my arss out from under the car. I forgot about removing and reinstalling the pully from the pump. That was fun too. Having the right tools is key with any of this work.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
pfft, try steering the car with no power steering.....actually, its not really that hard.
Just drop a 1,000 lbs, put some skinnies on the front and call it a day! :)

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
pfft, try steering the car with no power steering.....actually, its not really that hard.
Just drop a 1,000 lbs, put some skinnies on the front and call it a day! :)
i think someones been juicin:rolleyes: i'm not pointin fingers but i rather wrestle a lion to the death than to go with no power steering on my baby:tongue:

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
i think someones been juicin:rolleyes: i'm not pointin fingers but i rather wrestle a lion to the death than to go with no power steering on my baby:tongue:
my first car did not have power steering...just manual steering.

Once you're moving, its not that bad.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts