TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently had an A/C system put in the house before I had to go in for some surgery. They techs had to come out again after I had surgery and I was still in the hospital. They wanted my wife to move the car our of the garage, but she could not turn the key. I told her the steering wheel locked and she just needs to turn the steering wheel a little bit and then turn the key. She totally misunderstood and turned the steering really hard both ways using all her force. I now have several quarts of fluid under the front end. Since I won't be able to do anything to the car for several weeks, I was wondering what might have happened? I cannot open the hood or any of that stuff for a while yet.

I suspect she somehow blew the seals turning the wheels so hard, but I am wondering if this is repairable or will need a replacement R&P, basically how much damage might have happened. I rebuilt the rack and pinion a few years back and the fluid is not that old (for as much as I drive the car). BTW: When I got back from the hospital, I had her sit in the car, turn the steering a little bit and turn the key. Well, it started, but the power steering was grinding real bad (no fluid).

Could she have literally pulled the pump hose off the R&P? I hate not being able to work on my CARS!

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

·
Super Moderator
8,006 Posts
Most likely the pressure hose blew, but you’ll have to wait until you can check it out to be sure.

And get well soon!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely the pressure hose blew, but you’ll have to wait until you can check it out to be sure.

And get well soon!
That's what I was thinking the more I thought about it. Since the engine was not running at the time the fluid blew out.

Thanks Mike!

(did I mention how much I hate doctors?)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,
I bit on a bullet while I went to to the garage to see what the F was going on with the power steering fluid (I had a full hip replacement last week). I could not stand it any longer and needed to get this fixed. I got the hood opened, pulled the PS cap and it was low. I added fluid to just above the cold level and fired up the car, backed it out of the garage and turned it off. I checked the level again, and it had receded once more, so I added more fluid, started it up and drove it around a bit turning the steering wheel back and forth. I pulled into the driveway, and popped the hood and checked the level. It needed more fluid. No leaks though! It was not losing any fluid in the driveway, so I continued on. I put more fluid in and drove around the block, making sure to turn the steering wheel full left then full right and in between. When I got back, the fluid was just above the cold level, so I left it alone.

By the time I was done, the PS was running smooth, quite and with no issues.

All I can think is when my wife was turning the steering wheel all the way from side to side, she put enough pressure on the R&P shafts to push fluid past the seal and onto the floor. I have yet to see under the car to see where the fluid was pushed out. In a couple months I will get the front end up and see what was going on, do a full flush of the PS system and check again for any leaks and squeaks.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: beechkid

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 1995 mustang gt that needs a new ps line installed because the pump end of it is kind of loose, where the line swivel is, not the teflon o ring. The pump does not really leak when it is running and driving, but when I turned the wheel without the car running in order to roll it a few feet, the ps fluid came out of that loose swivel connection and pooled under the car.
Perhaps your issue is similar.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 1995 mustang gt that needs a new ps line installed because the pump end of it is kind of loose, where the line swivel is, not the teflon o ring. The pump does not really leak when it is running and driving, but when I turned the wheel without the car running in order to roll it a few feet, the ps fluid came out of that loose swivel connection and pooled under the car.
Perhaps your issue is similar.
Good point 97. What I did not find is any spill or overflow in the upper compartment or on the upper block, wheel well, etc. That is why I am thinking it leaked on the lower end. We'll see.

Thanks 97 for the feedback.

Reactions: 3_97_sports

·
Registered
65 Posts
You should put cardboard under the car to absorb any mess, and get your wife to turn the wheel back and forth again without the engine running.
As she does this, you can watch the pump and lines, and see where it is coming out of the system. Just make sure the cardboard is large enough to also be under the steering rack. Your wife can also take pictures of the underside of the car with her phone, then you don't have to attempt to lie down on the ground with your bad hip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I rebuilt the rack and pinion a few years back [...]
What was it like? Any special tools needed? Tips to share?

I have a remanufactured rack & pinion waiting and I was thinking to overhaul that leaky and clunky one and to have it as a spare. However, no clue if it's doable and worth it.
Core refund is about the same as shipping costs, so I could as well try this..

·
The Parts Guy
7,682 Posts
If we're talking about a 3.8L or 5.0L MN12, that pump will expel fluid through the small vent hole in the reservoir cap if you turn the wheel with the engine shut off. Clean up the mess, top off the reservoir, and you'll be back in action.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts