TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering Rack or Tie Rod?

My 95 T-Bird, 165k suddenly developed a little play in the steering, coupled with a clunking noise. I looked at the steering rack while the GF turned the wheel. I feel the clunk at the junction between the steering rack and the driver's side tie rod. You can see the play. I did check all the bolts.

Does this sound like the steering rack, or should I try the tie rod first since it's only like $25? The Haynes manual doesnt even show replacing the inner tie rod so I get the feeling it isnt too common.

Thanks in advance,
Al

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone replace an inner tie rod end at the steering box with luck?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
yes, all it does is unscrew from the rack. very very easy to change.
Agreed. It's worth $25 to try, because chaning the rack is a giant PITA. The only "gotcha" is that there will be a little set screw (allen head) or rivet locking the inner tie rod in place. Unscrew it or drill the rivet out if you can.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks!

Is it possible for that inner tie rod end to have play in it? If not, then it is most likely the rack. There is a decent amount of play at the junction of the rack and tie-rod, and there is about an inch of play at the steering wheel.

If it turns out to be the rack, I guess I need to replace inner and outer tie rod ends on both sides while I am in there?

Thanks again,
Al

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I found my 1990 bird’s inner rod was actually halfway unscrewed when I was checking out the front suspension. It gave me a pretty weird feeling actually, that thing could have completely unscrewed if I hadn’t checked it.:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts