TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
If it fails, it leaks like a sieve; if it's a gushin, that's probably it.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
High Pressure Fitting

Here's a picture of the High Pressure Fitting elbow end (The one that fits into the Rack & Pinion):
(MN12) Bad High Pressure Fitting.JPG

There's a few different reasons these things leak..Let's discuss the most common reason first..

There is an O-Ring underneath the fitting that eventually goes bad due to heat/chemical compatibility/shrinkage/swelling, many things..

When this O-Ring fails..The solution by Ford is to just replace the whole elbow..The O-Ring was never a serviceable part..

Moving on..The next most common reason these things leak are..The Teflon Seal goes bad..

Normally this seal doesn't just go bad on its own unless it's messed with..The Teflon Seal is one time use only..

So if you have to remove this fitting off of the rack..The Teflon Seal must be replaced before reattaching the fitting back onto the rack..

When you install the replacement Teflon Seal..Warming it up in warm water is suggested to make it more pliable to fit just over the threads of the fitting..

Probably the least common way this fitting fails is if it gets cracked in half..Perhaps from a combination of rust, or just being too rough on the part..

All 91-97 Thunderbirds/Cougars used the same fitting..As well as all 93-98 Mark VIII's used this same fitting as well..

IMO..If you can afford to it's best to use a Ford piece here vs Aftermarket..

The Ford Part Number for the High Pressure Fitting is: (F1SZ-3A719-D) or (F1SZ3A719D)

The Ford Part Number for the Teflon Seal is: 388743-S100

The High Pressure Fitting is still available new from your local Ford dealership, or online..

Unfortunately the Ford Teflon Seal has been discontinued.. :(

You can find a replacement Teflon Seal at your local auto parts store..Dorman Help Part#82540
82540_1.JPG

IIRC..You use the smaller of the 2..

The aftermarket Edelman High Pressure Fitting is part #39141

In closing..If anyone has replaced the O-Ring seal in this fitting that commonly fails, and was successful (meaning it didn't leak) :D

Please post a part number, and or size of seal you used..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I don't believe that piece comes apart to service the o-ring; I believe it's swaged together.

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a replacement and the nut that goes into the steering rack is 18mm on the new part. Just to verify, is the stock part 18mm as well?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes it is 18 mm. If I have to do this again, I have identified a couple of places to grind away so the fittings can be attached before the rack is placed in the car.

Removing/installing those fittings in the manner you have to is one of those jobs that make you want to slap the engineer that said "Yep, that hole is big enough".

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is 18 mm. If I have to do this again, I have identified a couple of places to grind away so the fittings can be attached before the rack is placed in the car.

Removing/installing those fittings in the manner you have to is one of those jobs that make you want to slap the engineer that said "Yep, that hole is big enough".
I'm going to try and replace the fitting without dropping the rack. I'm hoping I can do it with a crow's foot wrench.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts