TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car : 1997 Lincoln Town Car (4.6L motor)

Guys, need your input. My steering has gotten really hard specially when making turns at low rpms, it has a very sticky feel to it. (Doesn't even come back to center after making the turn - has to be brought back to center)

So far these are the things I have changed

1) Steering Pump
2) Steering control module (airsuspension and steering module)
3) Re-wired Electronic Variable Orifice (EVO) valve from the electrical module

All this and no improvements

It has been suggested to me that following things could be bad

1) Joints in the Lower steering Shaft
2) Steering Box

Any way, that I can check for these before buying new parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup - New FORD pump and EVO/steering module

Any particular way to bleed the steering system? I just opened the reserviour cap and rotated the steering wheel side to side.

Looks to me the steering box is shot - Any tech articles listed here or other boards to help change this? I am planning to change the whole steering column as well as the steering box

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
No official faq's -

Though www.autozone.com has free online manuals for our cars.

Don't know if they list rack and pinion replacement.

I can tell you this - it's a pain in the *ss!.

I seriously doubt you need a new column -

The only thing to get worn out is the "Rag joint" or as ford calls it "Steering Coupler" - it's the rubber flex joint that coupled the steering shaft and the rack. If the rubber is worn out and cracked it can cause probs - But not hard steering.

That has to be the rack given what you have already replaced.

As far as bleeding - with the car in the air. Disconnect the coil packs so the car won't start. Keep the engine cranking with the starter and turn the wheels back and forth. Keep checking the fluid it will lower as air comes out - don't let the reservoir run dry or your pump will be toast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - will bleed the system but I doubt thats what causing the problem

One more thing I have noticed - If the car is stationay then its not as hard to turn from side to side but as soon as it is moving in low rpms it gets super hard to turn and has that 'sticky' feel to it - where as when stationay the sticky feel is there but alot less than when the car is in slow motion

I was thinking maybe speed sensor has something to do with it as well? I have a electronic speedo but it is working though - if there was a problem with VSS then the speedo shouldn't work either?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
tutuluke said:
Thanks - will bleed the system but I doubt thats what causing the problem

One more thing I have noticed - If the car is stationay then its not as hard to turn from side to side but as soon as it is moving in low rpms it gets super hard to turn and has that 'sticky' feel to it - where as when stationay the sticky feel is there but alot less than when the car is in slow motion

I was thinking maybe speed sensor has something to do with it as well? I have a electronic speedo but it is working though - if there was a problem with VSS then the speedo shouldn't work either?
Hmm, to disable the speed sensitive steering pull the connector on the steering computer located in the trunk mounted under the rear deck.

When you pull the connector the car will go to full time full power assist.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I disconnect the connector on EVO(on steering pump) - should it not go to full assist as well?

I have tried this and it didn't help - steering was the same after disconnecting the EVO

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
tutuluke said:
If I disconnect the connector on EVO(on steering pump) - should it not go to full assist as well?

I have tried this and it didn't help - steering was the same after disconnecting the EVO

I'm not sure how the steering computer would interpret that - not sure if it's the same as disableing the computer.

I would plug in the evo run the car - then turn it off unplug the computer and try it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done for the day (from work) - will go out and unplug the steering module / computer - lets see what happens

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I believe it says 97 TownCar. If so, they may have recirculating ball steering instead of rack and pinion. They used to anyway. Make sure you put grease in the fittings in the steering linkages if it is recirculating ball. If all looks well (nothing bent and connections look good) and is greased, the steering box may be it since you already replaced the pump. I would think it would still come back to center eventually. Not sure how you would test it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Dusty said:
I believe it says 97 TownCar. If so, they may have recirculating ball steering instead of rack and pinion. They used to anyway. Make sure you put grease in the fittings in the steering linkages if it is recirculating ball. If all looks well (nothing bent and connections look good) and is greased, the steering box may be it since you already replaced the pump. I would think it would still come back to center eventually. Not sure how you would test it.
Doh! - I thought he had an MN-12

hmm I dunno about towncars

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dusty - you are right that we(town cars) don't have rack and pinnion but I wanted to get more opinions before I start ripping my steering system - thanks for all the replies

Unplugged the computer (steering and air susp - one controls both) and no difference at all - last thing I am going to try is to bleed the steering system and check all front end for grease or any major problems - If the bleeding of the system doesn't cure it then it has to be the steering box or joints in the steering cloumn.

I am going to change the whole damn thing - sick of driving like this!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I put a junkyard box in an 89 TownCar I had a few years back. Not too bad of a job. Disconnect the lines. Remove the Nut that connects the box to the linkage then get a hammer and hammer the connection loose. It will take some hits. Remove the bolts and pull it out. There is also a connector piece between the box and the steering linkage at the firewall. I left my old one on since it seemed in good shape. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts