TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey so I have a "new" 97 Tbird (4.6L V8). Had her for a couple months and have done a bit of work, new DPFE sensor, new EGR valve, a couple other sensors, new front lower ball joints and control arms.
Now every time I turn the steering wheel there is a clicking noise. If I turn it to limit right or left there are four clicks, every time. It's almost exactly the same noise the turn signal makes. It isn't a bad CV or struts, the noise is definitely coming from the wheel itself. Before I go through the ass pain of taking it apart I was wondering if anyone else had this issue/has any ideas what it could be.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You might take a look at the multi-function switch on the steering column. It could be that the return lever/spring is broken/jammed and the cancel cam keeps hitting the switch stub. Does your turn signal disengage properly? Is it stiff/hard to move or flops around after it kicks off?

To get at the switch assembly, simply remove the column shroud. This requires removal of the ignition lock cylinder. To remove the cylinder, put the key in RUN position, then push up on the little retaining pin at the bottom using something of 1/8" diameter (drill bit shank, jeweler's screwdriver, large paper clip, etc.) -- you can try it with lower shroud on, as there's an access hole, but it's easier to see the pin hole with lower shroud removed -- then just pull out the cylinder. Installation is reverse: push it back in while still set to RUN position until the retaining pin clicks into place..

There are two self-tapping screws holding the multi-function switch on. Remove them and the electrical connection and that's it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts