TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight clicking sound in my steering only at 12 o,clock. It is not a vibration just a click. any solutions?

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
If you turn the wheel lock-to-lock, does it click at the 12 position every time around, or just when the wheels are pointed straight?

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Replace the steering rack. Most likely it got contaminated with salt water, which caused it to rust internally where the 2 gears were meeting together.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
redzie407 said:
I have a slight clicking sound in my steering only at 12 o,clock. It is not a vibration just a click. any solutions?
Your Rag-Joint is probably toast...

Pic courtesy of RaceCougar

You have a couple of options..

Spend $180 or so on a DLF bolt in piece-->Stainless Steel Rag Joint Kit

Or piece a kit together for $128 or so..

SS U-Joint $73.95

Steering Shaft $41.95

The stock Rag-Joint has been discontinued..

Rayo..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rayo Is the steering shaft standard on all sport thunderbirds? Or would it be wise to take the rag joint apart and measure. I taked to summit and flaming river and they are telling me to measure and count the splines first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found the problem. it is the steering shaft part number 3b676. there is a collapse part that been a problem on these cars. I talk to an old friend a the ford dealership he help me find the problem. Is there a replacement part?
Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
if the parts you gave me to replace the rag joint and steering column the solution? is there any modifications I have to do or is this a direct replacement?

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Spend $180 or so on a DLF bolt in piece-->Stainless Steel Rag Joint Kit
I can vouch for this solution; it went right in with no issues, and much more reliable looking than stock.

It's solid steel, unlike stock ones.

I can't believe what a pos our ragjoint is... :facepalm:

If you're reading this, and haven't ever looked at yours, I'd do that, just to be sure it isn't hanging by a thread; I'd hate to check a curb, and lose one... :)

Especially if they use salt where you live. :)

I pulled one of the rivets out easily while changing a rack awhile back; I bought a stock one at the time, until I saw DLF's kits, then upgraded.

If you machine your own parts, you might be able to save $20 or so, but his work is much better than mine, and will bolt in an hour, instead of an afternoon of "fitting". :)

YMMV.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the rag joint is not the problem. there is a plastic part that collapses the column in the case of a accident. If you pull on the shaft inside the car under the dash it stops the clicking. the part is 3n725. I understand that the parts that were suggested will work fine. but will it solve the problem.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
the rag joint is not the problem. there is a plastic part that collapses the column in the case of a accident. If you pull on the shaft inside the car under the dash it stops the clicking. the part is 3n725. I understand that the parts that were suggested will work fine. but will it solve the problem.
Is this the part that's clicking?

Thanks Ralph

The Ford Steering Column U-Joint is obsolete, but I'll provide the part number anyways..

Steering Column U-Joint: E9SZ-3N725-A or E9SZ3N725A

If you would like to use an aftermarket piece in the place of the obsolete factory Steering Column U-Joint..Here's a link-->>FR1716DD

Rayo..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
steering wheel

I brought the replacement for my rag joint. the direct bolt on. I never did this before. do I just take the bolts out of the rag joint and will it come out or do I have to remover the connecting u joint under the dash to pull the driveshft back to get clearence?

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
There is one bolt that tightens the rag joint to the rack, and one bolt that goes through the steering shaft and rag joint. Remove both of those bolts, and then the steering shaft will slide back off the rag joint, and then you will probably have to carefully pry the rag joint off the rack. Also, spray lots of PB blaster on it before you start to make it easier to remove.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put in the rag joint replacement, The rag joint came out with no problem. when I put the new u joint in I pushed the spline piece as far as i could on the shaft untill it could not go any futher is this right? I noticed ther is a circle on the steering rack spline that seperates upper and lower splines.I was wondering if the holding bolt had to go in a certin spot.

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Yes, the holding bolt has to go in line with that groove in the splines on the rack.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know what my Rag joint looks like... But judging on the rest of my car... I should replace mine asap

1 - 20 of 27 Posts