TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i just recently purchased a 1995 Thunderbird LX (3.8l) It came stock with the "premium" sound and still has the Stocker Ford Head Unit (tape player). It SEEMS like the previous owner did have a system in there. I bought it from a dealer so i cannot be sure. Under the hood i see some "lightning audio" red power wire coming from the battery. And in the trunk there is some speaker wires so i figure they had a box back there. Also i found a Trim piece from another Head unit so all these clues lead me to believe there was a system at one time.

Ok, Now to the problem. Ok when i tune the radio into ANY station i cannot hear very much sound at all. I have to turn it all the way up and then i can hear it a bit better but it is distorted. (i cannot hear it over the A/C if i have it on high because it is that quiet) The rear speakers sound a little bit better than the door speakers but they are all very quiet. I did not check, but i have a feeling that they probably did away with the Premium Sound JBL amp. Do you think this problem is a result of not wiring the Head Unit back up correctly? Or are my speakers blown? What size are the door speakers? What size are the rear speakers? Really Purchasing a new head unit is not an option now. BUT, i can purchase some new speakers if that is the problem.

·
Registered
538 Posts
well....

The JBL amp thing could be the problem, it may have not been rewired correctly, actually i think once you remove that amp ther is no putting it back.....so it may not be in there at all. It happened with our Lincoln Town Car.

The other thing it could be is...If the previous owner had a system in there (which is 99% likely from all the clues), then he probably left the stock speakers in there and turned up the music thinking the stock speakers could handle it.....In effect he probably blew the speakers...or the speakers have just had it, and can't handle anymore.....

just get new speakers.....The size of all the speakers in the car are exactly 6x8 1/2
But you can put 6x8 or 6x9's....The only company that makes the exact size for ford 6x8 1/2 is Pioneer.

Hope this helps
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly did that JBL amp do? Should i get a lower powered amp to replace the JBL unit that is gone. If that Amp did make a difference then i would like to have some good sound. Also where at should i look for the JBL unit.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The JBL....

The JBL amp just powered the jbl car speakers and the one subwoofer that cam with the car. However, it's not that powerful and neither are the speakers.

If you want a system that sounds good, i would not replace that JBL amp, replace the car speakers and get a different amp, you can get a JBL amp if you want...just don't buy one that is similar in power...however there are better amps than JBL....The guy who had the system probably killed the stock speakers. It would be best to replace them and they don't cost much...you can install them yourself.

getting a lower power amp willl not help your sound at all....what you want is more power..but those stock speakers can only handle so much....and they have already had enough....this is why i'm telling you to replace them.

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, i am going to replace the Stock speakers. BTW, where was this stock Subwoofer located at? I only saw the four Stock door/rear panel speakers. So you reccomend that i just Stay away from an AMP and just replace the Stock speakers? Sounds good to me as i just want SOME Kind of sound. Hopefully that JBL amp is gone. I heard it will cause some problems with new Head Units.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, where in the car should i look for this old JBL amp?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes good idea to replace speakers...

but i never said don't get an amp...i just said don't get the a JBL similar to the one that was in there

If it was me i would get an amp for those new speakers, it will make it sound better...but make sure it has enough power to power the speakers....

Here are some suggestions:

most car speakers with very good quality sound, an 4 channel 300watt amp will be more than enough for the speakers...here are some good names..Kenwood, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, JBL, Sony...anyone of these would be great for an amp. You should not need more than 300watts...You don't have to get one, but I would

Beirutsfinest

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok gotcha, I see now. But I still do not know where to look to make sure this JBL stock amp is really gone or if i will have to eliminate it myself. Can you point me somewhere??

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ok...here it is....

I was wrong about some things..

here's all the correct info: The ford JBL system consists of 9 speakers (2 in each door, and 2 in each rear side panel). These are powered by a 60 watt amp.

Then there is a subwoofer speaker located in the rear right hand quarter trim panel
(this is powered by it's own 85 watt amp)

So there are 2 amps, i'm not sure where the second is located.

Sorry i couldn't help with the location.

Beirutsfinest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts