TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Such a bummer for such a smart guy. I really think its special to be fired from your old company and bought back. I think Mr. Jobs is a real innovator and is a marketing genius. Even though I am not a big Mac or iphone guy, I really respect the man.

R.I.P Mr. Jobs!

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
I never took an interest in anything Apple, but I certainly can't deny the great influence he had on getting the technological world where it is today.

RIP Steve.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I never took an interest in anything Apple, but I certainly can't deny the great influence he had on getting the technological world where it is today.

RIP Steve.
Thats pretty much how I feel as well. I'm not an apple guy, but he DEFIANTELY came up with good ideas and knew how to market them. It's a damn shame he was taken way too early. I guess he knewhis time was coming after just resigning in late August.

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts
An old friend said, and I have to steal it, "Steve couldnt make an app for that".
They did; it's called "iNecro".

:D

Yes, yes, I will rot there, probably. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
There's not many people when they die have the announcement interrupting national TV broadcasts like they did for Steve today. Shows how important to all of us he became.

Click Here to see an early video of Steve preparing for an appearance on Nightline.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I hear he had cancer. His liver wasn't doing so well.

·
Registered
775 Posts
He was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in 2004. Pancreatic Cancer is probably the most deadly kind of cancer there is. Meaning how long you can live with it. The liver problem and the resulting transplant was a result of the Pancreatic Cancer.

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
R.I.P. Steve. :angel2:

I doubt theres a single one of us who's lives weren't touched by him in some way.

I know I love my current iPod. I've owned three different generations of them.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
He was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in 2004. Pancreatic Cancer is probably the most deadly kind of cancer there is. Meaning how long you can live with it. The liver problem and the resulting transplant was a result of the Pancreatic Cancer.
I think that they gave him 3-5 years to live and he lived 7. Cancer is a whore who needs to die! Both my grandfathers passed from Cancer(breast and lung) and it's really a horrible thing to die of because it spreads VERY quickly and eats at everything in your body.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Have a Macbook Pro that I use everyday at work to run Windows on...love my iPod...and may end up with a 4s soon now that it's on Sprint. Definitely a great loss.

Love the eternal flame...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
R.I.P. Steve. :angel2:

I doubt theres a single one of us who's lives weren't touched by him in some way.

I know I love my current iPod. I've owned three different generations of them.
I'm one, now Woz on the other hand.

I just don't get why everyone is making such a big deal, more important people have died and less has been done.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm one, now Woz on the other hand.

I just don't get why everyone is making such a big deal, more important people have died and less has been done.
Whats more important than helping put personal computer in side of a house? Computers used to be the size of classrooms. Even making a 2.3 pound computer is a lot. Lots of people said that computers would have no use in the house. We wouldn't have this forum, or facebook, or a good banking system, not as technologic cars, everyone would have to use snail mail, cellphones (microprocessors & hard drives), and the list goes on.

If it wasn't for this man, I don't believe we would be anywhere near where we are today technology wise. Rip Steve :angel2:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Whats more important than helping put personal computer in side of a house? Computers used to be the size of classrooms. Even making a 2.3 pound computer is a lot. Lots of people said that computers would have no use in the house. We wouldn't have this forum, or facebook, or a good banking system, not as technologic cars, everyone would have to use snail mail, cellphones (microprocessors & hard drives), and the list goes on.

If it wasn't for this man, I don't believe we would be anywhere near where we are today technology wise. Rip Steve :angel2:
STLX... that's what the cynics are talking about. He didnt really invent any technology, but he was a master innovator.
He took stuff that was already done, had his wonks debug, polish, and normalize it; then put it all together in a very attractive package. One that he could control.
He was really in the mold of John H Patterson, Thomas J Watson and Henry Ford.
Interesting .. esp considering his early legion of followers and stuff that's happening now.
And btw. Woz and Jobs built a hobby machine. It was the spreadsheet {along with 'Writer'} that made it attractive to the non-geek... and qualify as a personal computer, not a toy.

Now.. what he DID make a huge difference in was the development of MS Windows.
Gates couldnt afford to lag too long in the GUI department for fear Apple might shift gears and address the corporate market he'd abandoned with the Mac.
If either Sun or Mac had gone for the corporate desktop, IBM and Ms would been in a world of hurt.

Why? Because of X Windows {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System} and Mosaic {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_%28web_browser%29}, not because of the pretty things Mac itself could do.

And btw.. quit that.. I used to work on those classroom sized computers.. that had less processing power than a basic cell phone has today. Not smart phone.. cellphone. NCR 68-73.

Oh.. and I was building ATM network interface cards in 1974. Of all the industries with computers Apple and Jobs had almost NO effect on the banking industry. Trust me.. I was there. Bank One 1996-1998.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts