TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that has noticed we have A LOT of stickies here, especially lately? Yeah, having a useful thread full of good info stickied helps us find the thread and info easier, but when you have 18 stickied threads in Misc, 14 in videos/images, 12 in General tech and Exterior, 10 in the newbie forum... and many, many more elsewhere. It just seems a little excessive to me.

I can't help but think there's a more efficient way to organize these threads so you're not blasted with a myriad of threads that are automatically ignored when searching for new threads in a subsection.

An idea might be to organize the useful sticky-worthy info into a single thread/sticky at the top of each section that simply links to the threads and call it "Stickied threads". The newbs never read through the stickies anyway, and those of us who have been here long enough to know to do so can find the info by opening such a "stickied threads" post at the top of each section.

I dunno, is it just me? Or is there any sense to what I'm saying? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Who me? :tongue:

It doesn't take me more than two clicks of the mouse wheel to scroll past the stickies. Is it that much trouble?

I'll look at them and unstick some. As fas as Misc and Videos/Images I've tried to pick topics that come up often or would be of interest to stick.

Yes they could be consolidated into a single click to open thread with links to all the individual threads. I'll think about it.

Anyone else wish to venture an opinion on this... ?

I'm open to your thoughts. Before I change anything I'd like to hear some other opinions.

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
I agree, it's gotten carried away. I usually quietly dump one or two if I decide I add one. I think the stickies in tech forums should only be for overasked questions as a one stop Q&A. Stuff that returns few search results aren't really necessary.

Stickied build threads really aren't necessary either.(I'll unstick mine if the rest are unstuck lol)

·
Administrator
8,007 Posts
Half the ones in this forum alone can either be unstuck or moved. Who wants to pull the trigger?! :tongue:

Joe

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
Yes they could be consolidated into a single click to open thread with links to all the individual threads. I'll think about it.
The tech articles section has links to the root threads for public discussion at the top of each article. The articles in many cases seem to have more views than the stickies as well. So I'd say any sticky with a tech article can be unpinned.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
What's the matter with Stickying useful information?

Quit your whining..

If you really want to contribute to TCCOA..Buy yourself a membership..

As far as I'm concerned..Non-members shouldn't even have a say on issues like this..(Besides the non-member Super Moderators)

:rolleyes:

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts

Quit your whining..

As far as I'm concerned..Non-members shouldn't even have a say on issues like this..(Besides the non-member Super Moderators)

Rayo..
LOL :uppoint: :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Quit your whining..

Rayo..

Well in that light, non-members shouldn't be allowed to post either or get threads stuck! I'll go delete my acronym list.

How is it whining to say that I think there might be a more efficient way to organize the info on this site? Where did I say there was something wrong with making useful information easily available?

Are you offended because most of the stickies on this site are your threads?

What if we stuck EVERY thread with a diagram, part number, procedure or build? We'd have dozens of pages of information to sort through. It's what the search function is for.

Sorry - but buying a membership on this site is nothing more than commercial support for AAN. The TCCoA "club" died long before Bill sold the site.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
You can unstick my tork tech thread, not a big deal to me.

Not out to hurt any feelings but with some of the sticky threads, it's just a search away from finding any info you need. I search every day and don’t have a problem finding what I need. Besides 4.6 forum, I’ll just send GM 14 PM’s in a week. I would think we should only sticky threads are REALLY important items. For the misc or video/image forums, fun or conversational threads (example: Post a pic today, what first mods, first car, ghetto fab mn12 pics, ext.) It’s not a big deal to me either since it’s a scroll wheel rotation away from the nearest new thread, but looks cleaner I guess.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I'm glad you asked.

Everything sticky'd is useful.

The converse of that statement, however, is not true: Not everything that is useful HAS to be sticky'd.

Like XR7-4.6 said, if there are only 3 threads about insert_whatever_particular_thing_here, it can be found by searching. If everything that is useful has to be sticky'd, then I could argue all technical advice I give is useful, and therefore all 9000+ posts of mine have to be sticky'd. It just doesn't work that way. So quit your whining.

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts

·
̇
3,702 Posts
I'm glad you asked.

Everything sticky'd is useful.
I was going to leave this alone, but since you brought it up again.. :rolleyes:

guitar maestro said:
Not everything that is useful HAS to be sticky'd.
If you agree with that statement...Then this Sticky-->Reconing The Mighty Cerwin Vega Stroker! is useful...Just not to 90% of the members here..

If anything should be Stickied..IMO it should be something that pertains to an MN12 or FN10..(Aside from the Marketplace & Other Stuff Sections)

We can agree to disagree..Let's leave it at that..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Thankfully, it's at my discretion, since that was the actual forum SirWill originally designated me as my first Mod responsibility many many years ago. So yup, I stand by my statement that it doesn't have to be stickied, but it could be, and I decided it is to be.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I often wondered why after y'all did this big tech section that some of those stickies aren't moved there...

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Am I the only one that has noticed we have A LOT of stickies here, especially lately? Yeah, having a useful thread full of good info stickied helps us find the thread and info easier, but when you have 18 stickied threads in Misc, 14 in videos/images, 12 in General tech and Exterior, 10 in the newbie forum... and many, many more elsewhere. It just seems a little excessive to me.

I can't help but think there's a more efficient way to organize these threads so you're not blasted with a myriad of threads that are automatically ignored when searching for new threads in a subsection.

An idea might be to organize the useful sticky-worthy info into a single thread/sticky at the top of each section that simply links to the threads and call it "Stickied threads". The newbs never read through the stickies anyway, and those of us who have been here long enough to know to do so can find the info by opening such a "stickied threads" post at the top of each section.

I dunno, is it just me? Or is there any sense to what I'm saying? :confused:
Well after you brought this to the forefront

The new - subject to change - Stuck threads counts stand at:

• Misc. - Down to 8 from 18
  • Video/Images - Down to 7 from 14
  • General Tech - Down to 8 from 12
  • Newbies - Up to 11 from 10 Because, well, there's no reason for seasoned members to be looking around in there any way and newbies need all the help and guidance we can give them... If they're only willing to read and heed ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts