TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The odometer on my '94 Bird will sometimes stay on the zero mark until I have reached a certain speed and then it will pop up and register correctly.

Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what is the cause and is there a remedy short of an in-shop repair?

:)

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Must be nice to have a zero on a speedometer. Mine doesn't even start to register until I have to start braking to not run the stopsign to the main road.

Then again, neither did my original one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sticking Speedometer also

My 95 Bird has the same problem. The speeodometer and odometer stop working after being stopped sometimes. It suddenly springs to life while driving down the road. Figure it must be a bad Speed Sensor or Speedometer. Any resolution to your problem?

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Quite the thread resurrection we have here! :D

The simplest fix is simply to replace the speedometer head. Check www.car-part.com, and you'll find good prices on some salvage yard speedometers. There are speedometer repair shops, but their prices are a bit more than getting a replacement from a salvage yard.

A very quick diagnostics procedure is as follows (from the 1994 Service Manual):

Pinpoint Tests

PINPOINT TEST F: SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER READS ERRONEOUSLY

F1: CHECK SPEED SIGNAL
F2: CHECK DRIVEN GEAR
F3: CHECK DRIVE GEAR
F4: CHECK CIRCUIT 679 (GY/BK) FOR SHORT
F5: CHECK CIRCUIT 679 (GY/BK) FOR OPEN
F6: CHECK CIRCUIT 875 (BK/LB)
F7: CHECK SPEEDOMETER
F8: CHECK PRINTED CIRCUIT

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
A common occurence with our speedos is that a small sticker falls into the gears inside the speedo head. You can remove the speedo itself from the instrument cluster and remove the sticker. It's worth looking into, it may save you some $$.

-Rod

·
Registered
861 Posts
i fixed my odometer by using an R/C car pinion gear. took a few attemps to get everything working right, but it only cost like 5 bucks. and it has metal teeth so they won't break like those on the lil blue gear that comes with car. (usually the cause of broken odometer) i'll try to find some pics so i can show you what it looks like

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
RobinCali said:
i took my engine out and did a rebuild and now my trip odometer and speedo doesnt work.

????

Did you have the transmission out? Is it possible that you unplugged the VSS on the transmission?

-Rod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts