TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently replaced BOTH my window motors in my '97 Bird.
The drivers has always been sticky/hesitant going down from the time we bought the car with only 29k 1 female owner miles on it and whatever is causing this led to the failure of the gear kit in the motor.
I thought is was just a weak motor so when the gear kit went I deceided to just replace the whole motor with a brand new not rebuilt one.
I still have the same problem sticky/weak going down-it goes up just fine, but I'm afraid what ever is causing this is going to lead to premature failure of the motor or gear kit in the new one.
I am suspecting the regulator itself and not so much any of the plastic/nylon slides.
Opinions?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Have you greased/lubed the window guides? I know on my 00 Grand Prix the felt on the guides dries out and grabs the window, which causes regualtor failure and a slow moving window. Matter of fact I just got done repairing the drivers door tonight due to this. I greased the snot out of the guides and it moves much better now.

It may smear the glass for a bit, but a least you won't be tearing the door panel off over and over to replace the motor :D

Just a thought...

Jay

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, Thanks for the replies and suggestions....Yes, in replacing the complete motor it included the gear kit, and again the motor is brand new not rebuilt so I feel that given that the original motor did this from a very young age/mileage that its something else causing this situation.
I can't figure out how/why it goes up so smoothly as if nothing is wrong, it keeps up with the passengers side window when I press the buttons at the same time.
I looked at everything inside the door when I was in there replacing the motors and couldn't find anything broken or worn out but I've got to be missing something. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just recently replaced BOTH my window motors in my '97 Bird.
The drivers has always been sticky/hesitant going down from the time we bought the car with only 29k 1 female owner miles on it and whatever is causing this led to the failure of the gear kit in the motor.
I thought is was just a weak motor so when the gear kit went I deceided to just replace the whole motor with a brand new not rebuilt one.
I still have the same problem sticky/weak going down-it goes up just fine, but I'm afraid what ever is causing this is going to lead to premature failure of the motor or gear kit in the new one.
I am suspecting the regulator itself and not so much any of the plastic/nylon slides.
Opinions?? Thanks!!
There is a special lube to use on the window regulator.
________
Morning_STAR live

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IS there a separate REGULATOR?? like manual windows have?? I kind of thought the power window motor setup took the place of it?? anyone have any pics of inside the door??

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PROBLEM FIXED!!!! I found out completely by accident that after a good rain that the window would go down fast and smooth, so I figured I was on to something-something that was suggested right here but I couldn't believe that it was that simple.
So, sfter everything dryed out-I put the window down and let all the water dry up, then sprayed CRC pure silicone spray into espessely the front and rear felt guides-I sprayed generously so it would run down and help lube everything up.
Its been 3 weeks now since I did that and everything is working GREAT!!! The drivers side-the one that was sticking now beats the passengers side down-so I'm going to spray the passengers side now!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've posted it before, I missed you post though. Good to take a spray can of silicone and use a wrag or tip to limit overspray, and spray in those tracks and let it run down ... out the bottom.... or so you'ld think. Longtime Ford mechanic at my local dealership showed that to me years ago.

I try to do it at least yearly, just go get acouple cans and "hose" the tracks of the four cars I have that have power windows.

Wipe excess off glass though, it can leach under the edge of applied window tint and may release it in places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts