TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a caliper issue. When you lightly apply the brakes, the car darts to the right hard. When you let off of the brakes, it then darts to the left. I bled the brakes and got some air out of the right caliper, but none out of the left. Can a caliper piston get stuck on the way out and not go any further out. I know that when they stick that they will go out but not release.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Well, if it pulls to the right when braking, and then left when you release, to me it sounds like the left side is not doing any stopping. Uneven dist. of braking between the front brakes would def. cause this. My Vic did this for a while and eventually the left caliper finally stuck and I had to swap in a new caliper in a parking lot to get her home. I would check out the left caliper to see if it's not traveling as far and evenly with the right.

Jay

·
Registered
17 Posts
my buddy and I fought this on our mn12 cars for quite some time. After alot of trouble shooting, I discovered MY pull to the right was actually from a bad right side upper and lower ball joint on the car, allowing the suspension to move when the brakes were applied. After the ball joints were fixed, it tracked arrow straight under braking.

We are still chasing just a tad bit of his issue down. We found some worn caliper pins and bushings on the left side front of his car, which attributed to part of it. The second thing is that his rear brakes were WAAY out of adjustment, allowing the right rear to bite first and pitch the car.

in short, several issues can be at hand here. The best method to track it down is to buy a brake caliper pressure guage, and test all 4 brakes to make sure that at least the hydraulic system isnt at fault. If they are pretty well even from side to side that eliminates the master cylinder, proportioning valve, and brake lines from the equation. Then you know the problem is either in the suspension or it is a mechanical issue with the brakes, such as a sticking caliper, rear brakes out of adjustment, caliper pin slop, etc. etc.

good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ya'll for the help. I went out this am and rebled all the brakes and got a bit of air out of the driver's rear caliper. Now it's 1000%better but still has a bit of a pull, but I know it's ball joints doing that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts