TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blacklight that I want to attach to the headliner of my 94'. I can't figure out a way to make it STAY up there! I tried the little sticky stuff that came with it, no go, tried poking to holes in the headliner and running a ziptie through the holes, that held for a while till my retard friend freaked out and hit it and knocked it off, then this afternoon i tried velcro which the sticky backing on those ALSO isn't working. how in the bloody hell do i get it to stay up there!!!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
how big of blacklight?

I took a piece of plexiglass about 3x5", painted it gray to match my interior, and stuck it between the headliner and my dome light (to prevent tearing up my interior with holes/sticky crap) then some velcro on the light and the "bracket" and it stays up there great.

now what you could do, is make a bracket like I did there, but maybe screw it to that. then it'd be removable too for when that friend comes around again.

-jw

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! that sounds like a good plan... i'll just have to do some fabbing tonight after i do all my frickin homework lol.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I hate when black lights are in plain view. PPL always put them on the back interior deck and it looks terrible from the outside. I say put it under your seat. I always think indirect light looks better though. If you like black lights, fill a alkihal bottle up with water then drain highlighter fluid into it until it looks green. Then turn on the black light. Glows kind of like caroons depict nuclear waste. Or maybe krypton from superman.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
although im against neon lights on a car, i say that if you are going to do it, make the light so its not in plain view. the light itself looks horrible unless youre going for the 1980's new york skank hotel sign look. the glow is alright. like han said, put the light itself out of view and let the light emit off of it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input... i still like it where it is because it lights up the whole car... i don't really care if you can see it or not... Maybe later i'll put more lights and put them underneath the dash or something

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
neons

I have a couple in my car but I placed them under the dash of the passenger side and under the drivers side so when ya get in the floor lights up purple. You can't see it from the outside, but I think it looks nice with it glowing by your feet.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yah for the love of god don't make them visible. Its not onyl a distraction to you, the other people, but its also against the fricken law.

Put them somewhere where you just see the glow and nto the actual tube or it just looks tacky

·
Registered
970 Posts
hmmm.

#1 - black lights do not emit a glow - neons do. mine is a black light, therefore putting it either under the dash or seats means that only the underside of the dash or under the seat along with a little bit of your fee with light up.

#2 - it's removable. if I don't like the look of it, I pop it off. as a matter of fact, it's laying somewhere in my back seat as I write this. grab the lighter adapted, slap it on the ceiling, and wallah.

#3 - it is NOT visible otuside of the car unless you're crouched down along side the car - I was stopped by an offduty cop once(when it was in the back window) - that's why it's on the ceiling and not the back window.

#4 - distraction? I've done 80 down the intersate and driven through crowded towns at midnight. NEVER have I been distracted by this light. it's behind your eyes, therefore it does very little for your vision. (as a matter of fact, It eases the strain on the eyes when driving at night - having more lights, instead of total darness and a small spot of headlight, causes the eyes to dialate/contract less - atleast it does for me) It's no more distracting then my blue-light-emitting stereo face.

-jw

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you do it right a little light will go a long way.
I have 2 blue LEDS (one under each seat shining forward)
They're hard to see with streetlights but in the country or something they give a nice blue glowout that resembles black light. I will be adding 2 more and shining back also, and maybe making Blue LED lightbulbs if i really wanna go crazy.
I also had some of that Neon wire ****, and the transformer melted. Once i noticed it i ripped it out really fast. At first i thought the smell was the kid that just got in and we were giving him lots of ****...:D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
see, i did it with velcro last night and all seemed well... except i live in florida, and with my car sitting out in the parking lot of school all day (it was really damn hot) the glue melted so it was useless... i even used liquid nail to put the velcro on... that stuff is pretty damn strong, but the heat was just too much... i've still got some brainstorming to do... ohh, i used the idea about sticking something between the light and roof... which works fine...

·
Registered
970 Posts
could use screws too.

I guess when I have my car out in the sun for any period of time I just take it off. Usually it just sits in the back seat until it gets dark and cools down.

-There's a difference between black light and blue light. Blue LED's do not look like black light. Sure blue LED's will go a long way, but it's still not black light. Black light causes a glow. Also, i don't plan on doing all of my cruizing away from civilization - therefore the very light glow of LED's will not fit MY application.

-jw

·
Registered
933 Posts
I know it's not black, but
1. it's fairly close on the scale
2. it makes some white stuff glowlike black light(khakis and socks and the such)
i was disapointed at the brightness when i first put them in but after i aimed them better and saw them in pitch darkness, much nicer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts