TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this is normal for birds, but my '94 T-Bird w/ 189,000 miles, has a very stiff gas pedal. Is there something I can do to change this, 'cuz I like a very sensitive pedal. Also my motor does this bogging thing at throttle tip-in. I'll be cruzing, then tip-in to accelerate a little and it will sound like its trying to, but just bogs. I then have to step on it kind of alot to accelerate again.

Could this have something to do with my torque convertor clutch? I know my convertor is in bad shape, cuz it has the carachteristic "shudder" these things get.

If no then, is it a fuel issue?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
for throttle responce clean the throttle body (dispite its warning) while open with a paper towel and some b-12 chem tool, oil the cable and linkage if nessasary, as far as the bogging clean your maf, and as far as the shuddering convert to merc 5 or if your fluid is new (less than 15,000mi) than pour in some heartland T3 additive....from what I've read its supposed to bring it up to merc 5 spec.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
for throttle responce clean the throttle body (dispite its warning) while open with a paper towel and some b-12 chem tool, oil the cable and linkage if nessasary, as far as the bogging clean your maf, and as far as the shuddering convert to merc 5 or if your fluid is new (less than 15,000mi) than pour in some heartland T3 additive....from what I've read its supposed to bring it up to merc 5 spec.
That's what we use at Jiffylube when doing transmission fluid exchanges... Dex/Merc III + Heartland T3 = Merc V

-Ghost

·
Registered
52 Posts
uh huh, sounds like throttle cable is rusting inside it's housing. that or it's got a kink in it. i'd say flush tranny with merc-V. fresh fluid is never a bad thing in these trannies, or ANY automatic tranny. they tend to get neglected.
also, i think i remember reading that the 4.6s can have flat spots in acceleration.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
That's what we use at Jiffylube when doing transmission fluid exchanges... Dex/Merc III + Heartland T3 = Merc V

-Ghost
yea we use it at Terrible Herbst Lube shop too

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I'll bet the throttle cable is rusting or kinked. Unfortunately I modified my stock MAF, so I think that something to do with the bogging. As far as shudder goes, I know my trans is F***ed, merc 5 wont do crap at this point but blow my trans. But I have a new one waiting to go in. I'am suprised at what a stock high milage 4R70W can handle though. I down shift into second at 45 mph everyonce in a while, and it takes it like a champ. Also I've had the stock convertor spinning at 5800 RPM before ( damn Mustangs are too fast ), and it seems to be OK. I heard that past about 5200 RPM it starts to balloon.

Anyway, thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
367 Posts
did you open ur maf up, as in cut the bracing from the inside of it. i tired that it dont work. to much airflow for the computer. need a tune for it if that what you did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, thats what did. You say I need a tune? What kind of tune?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
no tune is going to overcome that mod. just pick up a good used one and replace it

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah.
You NEED to replace that MAF with an unmolested, clean one.

The MAF must be clean, and to stock specs.

By tune, he means a tune for your computer. Speed shops create "tunes" or files for your computer and change the settings for performance.

The MAF helps determine A/F ratio, and you can see how tricking it without informing the computer what you did, will be problematic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts