TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What would cause stiff steering after my '94 lx sits outside all night. As the winter weather in KS gets colder, the steering becomes harder to turn to the right. After a mile or so it gets back to normal. I had the RH upper ball joint changed recently because the boot failed. Could the ball nut be over torqued? Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
What would cause stiff steering after my '94 lx sits outside all night. As the winter weather in KS gets colder, the steering becomes harder to turn to the right. After a mile or so it gets back to normal. I had the RH upper ball joint changed recently because the boot failed. Could the ball nut be over torqued? Any other ideas?
No, it can't be over-torqued - the spindle pinches the stud of the upper BJ, it doesn't have a taper with a nut. Also, you can't get just the upper ball joint - the entire control arm has to be changed.

Sounds like it could just be greased better or the grease used was the old thick stuff that just gets very hard/stiff in cold weather. Give it awhile to see if the stiffness works its way out because it may.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
My guess is inner, outer, or both (ALL four) tie rods, otherwise possibly a rack issue. Try knocking the outer ends out of the spindle and checking each side for binding in the sockets of the joints on the inner and outer ends since it's a free test.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My guess is inner, outer, or both (ALL four) tie rods, otherwise possibly a rack issue. Try knocking the outer ends out of the spindle and checking each side for binding in the sockets of the joints on the inner and outer ends since it's a free test.
Good guess, Chris; I have seen that happen with the rack.

I was focusing on the work he had just done and didn't even consider it may be unrelated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reply to All

Well, thanks for the ideas. I hope the unseasonably warm weather holds out thru Sat. Looks like I'll be layin' under the 'Bird. Thanks agian and keep the dirty side down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts