TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having this strange problem with my 96 4.6 Bird. It has a hesitation problem but it doesnt happen when you first start the car. If you let the car sit (cool) it seems as if the hesitation will go away, and then come back sometimes within a minute and other times maybe 5 minutes. Then the hesitation usually will occur the rest of the time the car is running. I have replaced the MAF sensor and threw in new plugs. The car idles perfectly and isn't knocking or missing. Where should i go next to try and remedy the problem? (No check engine light but the hesitation is definatley there). Thanks alot for any ANY help.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What about the plug wires?

I had a miss for a long time, ended up just needing good plug wires. I found that out after I went through two inexpensive sets over about two months. It was more predominant when it was wet outside. Try opening the hood and misting the wires with a light spray of water (spray bottle) with the engine running to see if it gets worse.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was actually my next move was to get some plug wires. Are there any wire brands that are particularly better than others?

It is strange though because there isn't really a miss. It just seems as if the car is EXTREMELY underpowered. The car idles fine and when revved doesnt sputter or run roughly. It is strictly a hesitation problem. No funny noises, no pinging that i can hear, no sputtering, no missing. Simply the lack of power. It seems as if the car wants to go but it cant. ALmost like driving with the brakes on or driving with the A/C on (obviously much more extreme than with the A/C on, but that same effect). Thanks alot.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
if possible at night in a dark aread with no lights just turn it on and look for arching i had a whole wire arching once and as for wires oem motorcraft ones

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe i'll try that tonight. Do you remember how much the motorcraft wires ran you? Thanks alot.

TPS is that something that i should just buy from Kragen or Car Quest, or should i buy it from ford? Thanks alot!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and started my car in the garage with all the lights off and didn't see any plug wire arching... Should i still get wires? This problem is really starting to piss me off...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
well since theres no arching u dont have outter damage to the wires. Any idea if those are original wires and how many miles are on your bird. Also maybe check the fuel pressure if possible maybe the fuel filter needs to be changed since it only happens when u start to move ect when more fuel is needed, and also just thought of this lol maybe get your battery and alternator checked at autozone could be the problem also

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am unsure about the mileage on the actual wires. But the car has 132,XXX on it. I was thinking about swapping out the fuel filter just because it cant hurt to change it anyways. The battery is new and i'm not sure about the alternator. Seems to charge up fine. Why would the alternator effect the car in terms of running smoothly? Thanks alot for the help!

I'm leaning towards the TPS or some kind of fuel problem. Would the o2 sensors maybe contribute to the hesitation problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.