TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as I've never been into big stereos before recently, I'm not really sure what's good and what's not...

I plan to get some 600 watt Infinity Kappa 572.5cf 5"x7" 2-way Speakers next month, 4 5 x 7s for the bird's high and mid range sound....buuut now I'm confused.

When I go for amps and subs and all what's good for the Bird? What fits, sounds good, etc?

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well, the first thing you need to do is look at the RMS power figures instead of peak power figures. The Kappas you mentioned handle no more than 100 Watts RMS. Your best bet would be to look them up at Crutchfield. I've been using Crutchfield for the past 8 years to get all the product specs. So, for two pairs of those 572.5cf Kappas, you would need an amp that produces 400 Watts RMS total.

As far as what amps sound good/bad, I'd like to hear some opinions from more experienced people. I personally happen to like Pioneer, though I'd prefer to buy something like Hifonics for my (future) setup. Hope this helps you out a bit.

Jim

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
this is a tough subject, as most comes down to the owners personal preferance. I like Eclipse amps for mids/highs, but would go with rockford, mmats, JL Audio, or even MTX for a sub amp.

I use Audiobahn aw1200x subs in my install, they hit nice and hard, while still retaining good composure, and clarity.

But like I said, it all comes down to the end users (you) personal preferance

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It's weird how crutchfield sells a lot of good audio equipment at bit too high of prices, but doesn't offer many well-respected name brands. I mean those brands that are known in the audio industry. I just looked at their latest catalog and they stopped carrying Pioneer.

Speaking of Crutchfield...

I remember the summer 1996 catalog had a Red T-Bird on the front cover flying on the freeway.. Hmm, I wonder if I'll be able to find that issue somewhere in my house...

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have these 3 MTX Thunder 6000's. I think they sound great...and they fit perfectly in the portion of my trunk that's closest to the back seats ('91 bird) Oh, and as far as Crutchfield...I don't think they are really that much more expensive...the subs I have cost the same here in town as in Crutchfield.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In my 94 I have a Rockford Punch 800.2 put out 1002 watts and 2 Infinity Reference 12's. They sound really good and have good deep bass. I also have a 1 farad digital top cap. To help the electrical system :D

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Crutchfield is a little more expensive. I got my MTX Thunder 4000 10" sub for $50 at Radio Shack here, and it cost $70 on Crutchfield. My Pioneer 6x8 speakers were $60 a pair at Wal-Mart, and cost $80 on Crutchfield. Depends where you are. I live in a hick town, only 6,000 people.

httP://www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would go and find a GOOD car audio shop and talk to the installers because they know what works best. Because they hear all of the differences and can give you some good ideas. You need to really find out what you want and how much you want to spend because if you get something, get tired of it, and then replace it you are looking at a lot of money.

Just my .02 cents though HAVE FUN

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well, here in NYC RadioShack doesn't carry MTX or anything close to that. You can buy a crappy generic sub for like $70 bux.
I personally think RadioShack is not to be used for things other than connectors/adapters and cell phones and such. I feel kinda bad when people come into RadioShack for a sound system and think they're getting a good deal. Well, what it all comes down to is money in my pocket. RCA is the brand that they're going with. Yeah, now that most people know from personal experience that Optimus SUCKS, RadioShack switched over to RCA. I think it should last them another few years until people turn away from that just like Optimus. Ok, I'm done rambling....

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Our Radio Shack is locally owned/managed? by Ron Fessler, so it's kinda Fessler's TV and Appliance 'Radio Shack'. They have the same stuff as regular Radio Shacks like in the mall, but they also buy some audio like JVC, Pioneer, and Aiwa. They don't carry too much, but it works out good. There's no way in hell I'd buy Optimus. Those radios are like 40 watts max. My factory stereo is better than that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
93pimpin said:
There's no way in hell I'd buy Optimus. Those radios are like 40 watts max. My factory stereo is better than that.
heh...most things are

1 - 12 of 12 Posts