TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a vibration problem for a while. Have had my tires balanced and aligned a few times and still no fix. My passenger side tire had always worn on the inside excessively compared to the drivers side. I decided to just go and replace the whole front end because it was getting a little loose.

So over the past 3 weeks I just replaced my whole front end, upper, lower ball joints and arms, steering rack, high and low pressure lines, strut rod bushings, outer tie rod and front disks. Know what still vibrating. It's vibrating less because there isn't any play in the bushings or rack but it's still doing it when I hit 65. Also the wheel bearings are 2 months old so it's not that either. Pretty much everything is new down to the mount bushings for the rack. I'm 99% sure it's not the tires because it does it with all 3 sets of rims that I have and they have all been balanced. I don't know what the hell it could be?? And it's definitely from the front end, the steering wheel starts to shake at 65.

It's much better because I took all the looseness out of the front end but the source is still there and it's driving me nuts. ANY IDEAS?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
how about the power steering?

MG

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
completely new rack and powersteering lines. MY old rack had some play in it the new one has none at all. The steering feels like brand new it's great, but just something vibrates at about 65. less then before but it's still very noticiable. Vibrations cause so many other problems over time, I want to fix this.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
95BLKLSC said:
I'm 99% sure it's not the tires because it does it with all 3 sets of rims that I have and they have all been balanced.
Just to hit all the basics.
Do you have three sets of tires for the three sets of rims?
Most tires have a mark, or dot, to align with the valve stem. Are your tires like this?
Have you aligned the valve stems, on the front wheels, to the painted lug?
Have you torqued the lug nuts?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, 3 tires for 3 sets of rims. I know for sure the latest tires dot was aligned with the valvestem, not sure on the others. I don't have a painted ug anymore since I replaced the hubs. And I torque the lugs to 100 ftlbs everytime. I wish it was somethign simple........well maby it is and it's so simple I can't find it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
still could be the tires though, broken belt or a flat spot. happened on my cougar, i replaced the whole front end, still shook. replaced the tires, no more shake.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The current yokohama es100 tires have about 5k miles on them and are 4 months old. I'm going to look into it but I doubt it's the problem. Like I said I have three sets of rims and tires and nothing changes when I swap them out..........Thanks for input. I'm still looking into the tire/rim thing because it's the only thing that I think is left. But my rims and tires are new too so it shouldn't be a problem. :confused:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's a chance, I doubt it but I am going to look in to it. That's the only cause I can see. It seems to be the only thing left in the equation. Although I don't think it's the case.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
there's a VERY good chance of that. I know our cars are very sensitive to balancing on the wheels and any driveline componant. So I'm going to find a place with a hunter machine locally. I know of one but he charges 75 a tire!!! I think that's a bit excessive.

Any one in southeast MA know a good trustworthy shop for a GOOD balance and alignment. Then possibly a diagnosis of my vib if a good balance dosen't fix it??? I've found a lot of places I won't bring my car to............

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Are you using a locking lug nut on the wheels?

If so, remove them, and replace with a standard one.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am using locking lugs, I'll try that, the only problem is I don't have anymore lugs.............I'll double up on lockers on the back just to test it out I guess.

Also I wasn't using locking lugs on my stock wheels and it vibrated.............I'll try that out tomorrow. I'm going ot get it aligned and the wheels rebalanced, we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I realize it's a stretch, but the manufacturer of the locking lug nuts has changed the design of some of their locking lug nuts, so that the weight is close to that of a stock lug nut. I believe I read about this on a Mustang web-site. (not sure)

However, it is worth a shot. I took my original locking lug nuts off at the same time I lined the valve stem up with the yellow painted stud, and my vibration problem went away.

Also, I have a bunch of the stock lug nuts in almost new condition.

You are welcome to have them, if they fit your Mark.

·
Registered
50 Posts
95BLKLSC,

I'm in the same boat with you (or I was until today:D ). I completely rebuilt my front end chasing a wobble vibration at certain speeds only. I even bought new wheels thinking they might be bent.

Turns out the one and only thing I didn't replace in the front end was the problem - the front half of the strut rod bushings(where they connect to the frame). I replaced the back ones (where they connect to the front lower control arms), but didn't replace the ones where they connect to the frame because they looked OK. Today I replaced the front strut rod bushings and voila! the obnoxious wobble/vibe is gone. In case you did what I did, and skipped them because the looked OK, try replacing them. They were cheap and easy to install (Napa had them in stock for $45 for both sides).

Hope that helps you out!

Frank

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
replaced all the bushings............:mad: wish that was it. I did get an alignment to the aggressive specs on the tccoa page and got the front wheels rebalanced. It's strange I was with the guy when he was doing it and he did a great job, eveything is great. Side to side all the specs are identical yet I have a slight pull to the right and it's not from road crown because I tested it in a flat parking lot too. Also the vib is still there, slightly better but still kickes in at 65. Getting pretty sick of this. I'm going to swap rims with somone locally who's car dosen't vibrate, maby I'll even put my moms taurus wheels on just for a day. I don't think it's the wheels because they are all brand new and so are the tires (well maby 4 months old or so). After I test the rims and tires I'll update you guys.

Note: I watched the tech balance the tires on the high speed machine and he got them dead on to a perfect 0 balance...........so it shoudln't be a balance issue.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Was the balancing done on a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balancer? If not I would try that, it got rid of my annoying vibrations for $12 a wheel.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, but it was done on a high speed balancing machine. The only place I can find locally that has one that isn't a car dealearship wants $75 a tire to balance, I refuse. And all the car dealerships won't use stick on weights which I need because clips on's won't clear my front suspension.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts