TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had heard years ago that ford used organic rake material for there pads in the early
90s. so what is the best material or pads to use in an all stock 94 cougar with 4 wheel discs and abs. want something that doesnt leave black on the wheel and wont ruin stock rotors.
do they even make an organic pad anymore?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I would either get the Ford ones, or I've had good luck with Autozone rotors & "gold" pads. Pretty sure they were semi-metallic. Order online and pick up in the store, save big $$.

Always get new rotors, and do a proper break-in right away, which is some really aggressive braking slowing from 50-20 real quick 10 times in a row, followed by cooling for an hour or so, then repeat. Really made a difference on the Crown Vic.

I'm a firm believer that black soot on the wheels goes hand in hand with good braking. Can't have everything. I had some unknown pads on my Toyota when I got it - they didn't put any dust on the wheels - but brake response and stopping power was crap.

Al

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I just put a set of AutoZone Golds on my Honda a couple days ago. I'm not pleased with them compared to the PowerStop pads I had.

The AutoZone Gold pads have good initial bite, but they do have pretty aggressive brake fade.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Don't the Powerstops need the Powerstop rotors also? They are ceramic, correct?

Al

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I'm not sure?

The only reason why I replaced the pads was because my driver front pad had worn out unevenly. Apparently I applied too much brake grease to the slide pins and they weren't going all the way down / in. Otherwise, my Powerstop pads would have had at least another 25k miles before they would have been rubbing on the indicator pin. I'm not sure if it matters any, but the AutoZone Gold pads I put on, I had them in storage for a few years before using them. I even contemplated throwing them away, but now I'm glad I didn't.

I think when the rear pads go, I'll replace all 4 pads and rotors at once with another set of Powerstop units.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that the better the pads stopping power, the more dust they create. These Hawk pads I put on drastically improved the braking but my front wheels are black after like 50 miles. They also squeal, but I can stop now!

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you talked me into it . 4 coated powerstop rotors .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts