TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed there are 4-hole Bosch Type III injectors on eBay to fit my 96 4.6L (like this http://r.ebay.com/Tf0HJh ). I was wondering what style are the stock 4.6L injectors? Are they the 4-hole versions or what?

Just curious if they're a worthwhile upgrade on a stock engine. I already know to stay with 19# injectors unless I'm over 300 hp (not gonna happen).

The only info I could find from a search around here was this nugget. Thx.

...If you search for fuel injectors, look for the type III (thin) body with the type I plug; the atomization is better which translates to more thorough combustion, better economy and more power and will work without splicing the harness.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Realllyyy... hmmm well I guess I should just run some Seafoam or Technron cleaner through the tank and not worry about this then ;)

I don't really have any symptoms but was curious about the injectors. Were your injectors the all yellow (orangish yellow) like mine? 96?

·
Super Moderator
16,751 Posts
Yeah all yellow. Thin bodies weren't just colored at the top like most fat body ones

Here's an archive pic of them when I was mocking up fuel rails for my intake swap

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what mine look like. OK well I guess I'll open that can of seafoam I have sitting on my shelf and run it though the tank just for giggles. Thx.

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
A can of seafoam in a tank of gas makes one perky, lol; but that's expensive gas...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
95+ seem to have gotten the thin 4 holes stock. i have 2 of them on the bench out in the garage i can snap a picture of real quick if you want.

picked em up off a 97 in the salvage yard. one of mine it ticking real bad since i cleaned em with full strength berrymans during my intake swap...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My 1995 also has the thin-body 4-hole 19 lb injectors stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yes my '95 came with yellow injectors stock, and was a 4-hole design......i replaced them a couple months lago with bosch/ford motorsport "red devil" injectors which is also a 4-hole design but the 4-holes were spaced further apart than the 4-hole o.e.m. ones......now i look at red injectors....which look great and run great.....$391. to my door for all 8 from 5.0 motorsport.com.......
hope you got a pcm tune to properly run those injectors.

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
Why buy aftermarket 19# injectors when the factory injectors are more than adequate for all purposes under 280-300 BHP?

We are very well aware of the differences between the 94/5 model years compared to the 96/7s. And yes, while the methodology for modifying a 94/5 4.6 requires considerations that reprogramming requires a chip and access to the correct databses, the principles and "laws" of tuning are identical to any other mass air fuel injection vehicle on the road today.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
no need to tune the pcm, these "red devil" injectors are o.e.m. replacement...i did a lot of research before i bought them ($400. is not something that i just throw around)....like i said, they run great and certainly feel stronger than the old o.e.m. one's.....also at that same time, i replaced the fuel reg and filter......and she runs like new....remember ive got a '95 and u cant always do to 1994-95 that your able to do to 1996-97 birds......thx for the comment..........
Actually, yes, you can. What size are those "red devil" injectors? If they're not 19 lb/hr, you need a tune.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
That's what I was thinking, I just wanted the OP to verify first. If he indeed have those 24 lb/hr injectors, the PCM is already pretty much maxxed out at tweaking out all that extra fuel and used up all the adaptation it is capable of and will have no adaptation left for when things really go wrong.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
So not to derail this any further but I have to ask you injector experts. Would the stock thin body 1996 ford/bosch 19lb injectors work out okay as replacements on my new to me 1996 gmc 7.4 liter? I heard through various sites that the 19lb fat body ford/bosch 5.0 injectors were plug and play. I haven't heard much about anyone using the thin style. I'm definitely looking to stop my cranking/hard start while warm/hot issue on my new truck.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
The newer injectors are supposed to atomize the fuel more; promoting improved mixing of the charge.

For the same amount of fuel, tune, etc. the only difference is probably going to be to an emissions sniffer in the tailpipe. :)

It might see a shift in no2 emissions, but probably not. :zdunno:

If you still do emissions testing, you could check it out, by doing a before and after test.

NOx is the only thing I'd expect to shift, and not by much, even then.

It would be awesome to see real data, having seen people 'upgrade' injectors before, with some pretty dubious performance claims.

:D

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The newer injectors are supposed to atomize the fuel more; promoting improved mixing of the charge.

For the same amount of fuel, tune, etc. the only difference is probably going to be to an emissions sniffer in the tailpipe. :)

It might see a shift in no2 emissions, but probably not. :zdunno:

If you still do emissions testing, you could check it out, by doing a before and after test.

NOx is the only thing I'd expect to shift, and not by much, even then.

It would be awesome to see real data, having seen people 'upgrade' injectors before, with some pretty dubious performance claims.

:D
I actually expect the HC's to go down significantly. I can here the injectors leaking when I turn off the truck and when I start it it dumps raw fuel (black smoke) out of the pipes. Also yes I am still an Emissions Inspector.

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
I actually expect the HC's to go down significantly. I can here the injectors leaking when I turn off the truck and when I start it it dumps raw fuel (black smoke) out of the pipes. Also yes I am still an Emissions Inspector.
I didn't realize you had leaks; HC is elevated for sure. :)

I tend to use whatever diagnostic equipment I have access to; for whatever info I can get out of it. I'm sure that violates rules or something; I should really check sometime.

Vibration analyzers are cool; taking snapshots over time will show wear in bearings and such.

Thermal cameras are cool for checking to see if the crossover has coolant in it, lol. Or if the exhaust is melting with that new tune... :)

I used to do mass spectrometry; our exhaust has a lot of hc anyway, to me. :) (burning oil, mostly, in my case.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts