TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all the k-members the same or did they change from 3.8 N/A 3.8SC 4.6 5.0??

·
Super Moderator
7,517 Posts
They didn't change with motors, but they did change for 93, so there is the 89-92 K-member and the 93-98 K-member (98 because the MarkVIII K-member is the same). The difference between the 2 has to do with the positioning of the motor mount pads, so if you wanted to put a newer motor or newer K-member in, you just have to make sure that the lower portion of the motor mount matches whatever K-member you are using.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
The passenger side mounting hole is moved 1 inch further out on the later models. Thats the only difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
@MadMikeyL : Just saw your sig, and the Torino...

I had a buddy in my Neighborhood that had one of the Starsky and Hutch replicas, back in 76 or so; he was able to order a 429 "Lima" engine in his.

I really can't remember what the engine looked like, other than a huge breather and blue valvecovers, but it was hellacious. :D

Had the stripe and all...

Sorry for the hijack. :)

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I was going through some old Ford Part Numbers, and found something unusual..

There were 2 different K-Members available in 1991..

Which suggests to me the K-Member used on the 1991-1992 [5.0L] Cougar sat lower..To accomodate the lower hood slope of the Cougar..
:zdunno:

The passenger side mounting hole being moved 1 inch further out on the later models also suggests..
That Ford made that modification to the K-Member for the wider 4.6L engine..That was introduced in 1994..

It has been verified that Ford started the later K-Member design in 1993..Among other things that changed in 1993 model year MN12's..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
7,517 Posts
Yes on the mount being moved further out to accomodate the 4.6. Remember the MarkVIII got the 4.6 for 93, so that is why it started in 93 and not 94. The Cougar K-member is exactly the same as the T-bird one though. Just because there are 2 different part numbers is no guarantee that there is any physical difference between the 2 parts. Part numbers change and get revised as time goes on, so it may be as simple as that.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
MadMikeyL said:
Just because there are 2 different part numbers is no guarantee that there is any physical difference between the 2 parts. Part numbers change and get revised as time goes on, so it may be as simple as that.
Actually there's 5 Ford Part Numbers for the K-Member.. :D

The original MN12 K-Member was Ford Part Number: E9SZ-5C145-A

Then with the introduction of the 5.0 in 1991..Ford changed "something" on the K-Member..That Ford Part Number being: F1SZ-5C145-A

Here is the other 1991 K-Member Ford Part Number: F1SZ-5C145-B

The introduction of the 4.6 DOHC in the 1993 MarkVIII led to the latest K-Member: F3LY-5C145-B *note the Lincoln "LY"

IMO..The F6SZ-5C145-A part number was just a part number update..Unless someone can prove otherwise..

There must have been a difference in the K-Members in 1991..In order for Ford to have 2 different part numbers..What difference that is..I don't know.. :confused:

I'm not arguing with you..Just putting the information out there for discussion.. :)

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
There's a difference, all right.

Ruby was an early 1991, so some parts are still 1990 (fuel filter amongst other things).

TurboChuck's motor mounts don't sit well in my car due to the horns. The motor mount top caps on Ruby also aren't like those in the boneyard for 1993 5.0's, either ...

I'm willing to bet I have the "non 5.0" K member in Ruby.

Or there's a production change, and my car didn't get it, being an early 1991 model.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
16,990 Posts
Actually there's 5 Ford Part Numbers for the K-Member.. :D

The original MN12 K-Member was Ford Part Number: E9SZ-5C145-A

Then with the introduction of the 5.0 in 1991..Ford changed "something" on the K-Member..That Ford Part Number being: F1SZ-5C145-A

Here is the other 1991 K-Member Ford Part Number: F1SZ-5C145-B

The introduction of the 4.6 DOHC in the 1993 MarkVIII led to the latest K-Member: F3LY-5C145-B *note the Lincoln "LY"

IMO..The F6SZ-5C145-A part number was just a part number update..Unless someone can prove otherwise..

There must have been a difference in the K-Members in 1991..In order for Ford to have 2 different part numbers..What difference that is..I don't know.. :confused:

I'm not arguing with you..Just putting the information out there for discussion.. :)

Rayo..

I don't know how the Cougar hood height myth got started but it's complete bunk. And yes, I've measured on an unproductive junkyarding day:tongue:. F1SZ is 1991 Thunderbird service part. If it was Cougar specific it would be F1WZ.

Plus the 1991 part number differences are in the revisions section, which could be as simple as a change in the material, the way it was coated, or where the welds were applied down the line. I have piles of identical parts with the same part numbers, from the same year car, just ending in -As, -AAs, -ABs, -Bs, -BBs, ect, ect. There's probably more than 5 as well, The 1993 F3LY-5C145-B K-member, for example, would have at some point been preceded by F3LY-5C145-A, even if it was just 1 car that got it.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
XR7-4.6 said:
F1SZ is 1991 Thunderbird service part. If it was Cougar specific it would be F1WZ.
That's true..If it was Cougar specific it would have the "WZ" in the part number..

XR7-4.6 said:
I have piles of identical parts with the same part numbers, from the same year car, just ending in -As, -AAs, -ABs, -Bs, -BBs, ect, ect.
When you're looking at the part numbers on the back of a part..You might not even see the actual Ford Part Number..I see that happen all the time..

Instead of the Ford Part Number..You see the "Engineering" Part Number..

Anyways before this turns into a "how to decode part numbers thread".. :tongue:

IMO..The change in part numbers for 1991 to F1SZ-5C145-B, or F1SZ-5C145-A had something to do with the introduction of the 5.0 for the MN12..

For instance..Look at how Ford updated the K-Member for 1993 to adjust for the wider modular 4.6..

The only way to settle this is to have both the 1989-1990 MN12 K-Member, and the 1991-1992 MN12 5.0 K-Member side by side for comparison sake..

Ok..Who's volunteering to pull their engine?.. :D

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well the tranny is out of my wife 5.0 and I need to replace the motor mounts in the SC... ;) Oops mine are 93s

·
pendejo
430 Posts
Wow I love the direction this thread went.

I'll add that some of the later K-members, at least in the Mark VIII Have a little bend in the front lip that seems to serve no real purpose. Besides letting some of the oil drain off when you accidentally spill it everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
I'll add that some of the later K-members, at least in the Mark VIII Have a little bend in the front lip that seems to serve no real purpose.
That is literally an oil drain point; our cars needed it, lol.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
But might as well just leave that wiring harness in the way so you need to move it every time you change the oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts