TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to change my stock rims to my after market 17" rims, but when i went to take my stock rims off, i noticed that one of the lug nuts on each wheel is a keyed bolt, and i don't have any kind of lug key to take them off... did the car come with a keyed bolt on each tire? if so where can i get a new key? if not then where can i get the wheels off?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Key masters are available at all ford lincoln mercury dealers. A new key is about $10-$15. OR,
you can take a deep socket that just doesnt quite fit over the end and pound it into place with a BFH and take them off that way.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
you can take a deep socket that just doesnt quite fit over the end and pound it into place with a BFH and take them off that way.
that's the way to go just make sure you use one you're not gonna need as it can ruin them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Local goodyear took mine off with an air chisel. He used a medium wide blade and cut into each one in a counterclockwise angle till they broke loose. FREE! with a tire rotation! Be Careful!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
A stripped bolt extractor socket works pretty good also - especially for Aftermarket wheel locks. ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i brought it to pep boys and they said the stock rims don't give them enough space, and that they just can't get them off. i asked what if i didn't care about the rim, and they said that there was just no way. i'm going to try some tire places, because someone has to be able to do it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
locking lugs

As usual, Pep Boys and most other chains hire wanna-be mechanics, not well trained ones. If you think about it, many tire stores hire guys that have spent half a lifetime doing dirty work, and what you are asking is nothing new to them.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
As usual, Pep Boys and most other chains hire wanna-be mechanics, not well trained ones. If you think about it, many tire stores hire guys that have spent half a lifetime doing dirty work, and what you are asking is nothing new to them.
yeah i went in the store looking for a simple brass t fitting and they couldn't figure that out. frankly i hate pep boys but its the only auto place for 10 miles or so.

·
Registered
59 Posts
one thing you can try which my help some. Do not remove the other lugs... In fact Over tighten the other lugs. It my relieve some of the pressure on the one you cant remove. Its not a sure thing, but it may help.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
i work at a car dealer and we charge an hour to remove wheel locks, some are a
royal pain in the a$$ but others come off pretty easy. at the dealer we have a master wheel lock key set for wheel locks on every platform of car. (of our make).
but my method is usually just pound a craftsman socket onto the wheel lock and then pull it off. its way cheaper than investing on wheel lock removers. occasionally we have to use the air hammer or do something ridiculous like drill it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
did you check the trunk? my mom bought a VR6 and it came factory with every option, one of them is actually really nice Vdub rims that have a locking nut. Went to the dealership, they immediately went to the truck where the jack is and searched for a few and came up with it..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts