TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Rear that is supposedly a trac loc unit out of a 97 LX on craigslist for $100.

My first question is : Did 97 LX's have trac locs?

If so they were 3.27's if I'm not mistaken, so would it even be worth it since I'm running 3.08's with one tire fire.

I'm just wondering here because I want 3.73's with trac loc, so if anyone could weigh in on this I would appreciate it, and if anyone has a a 3.73 trac lock diff for a good price pls let me know that too.

Thanks

TJ

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,374 Posts
Yes, it's a 3.27 but not all of them were trac-lok.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well I have the guy checking the ratio to make sure, you know the rough check of it, turning the pinion and seeing how many times the axle side turns. He says it's a trac loc. Just wondering if it's worth it to buy for 100 bucks if it's only 3.27 and putting in some gears later or just try and source a 3.73 trac lock instead.

Thanks
TJ

·
Super Moderator
7,567 Posts
All 96/97 MN12s came with 3.27s, so if it is out of a 97, and hasn't been messed with, it will be 3.27s. An easy way to tell for sure if it is sitting outside the car would be to just remove the cover and count the teeth. If it is a Trak-lok 3.27, $100 isn't a great deal on it, but it isn't bad either. Since you aren't interested in that ratio, and would have to rebuild it with new gears anyway, it wouldn't be worth any more to you thana 2.73 or 3.08 trak-lok, so given that, I would say offer him $75 for it, and if he takes that, then you got a good deal, as long as it is definitely a trak-lok unit, and you now have something to start with for your build, and if not, don't sweat it as another one will turn up. If it turns out to be an open diff though, then it is basically worthless.

·
Registered
966 Posts
All 96/97 MN12s came with 3.27s, so if it is out of a 97, and hasn't been messed with, it will be 3.27s. An easy way to tell for sure if it is sitting outside the car would be to just remove the cover and count the teeth. If it is a Trak-lok 3.27, $100 isn't a great deal on it, but it isn't bad either. Since you aren't interested in that ratio, and would have to rebuild it with new gears anyway, it wouldn't be worth any more to you thana 2.73 or 3.08 trak-lok, so given that, I would say offer him $75 for it, and if he takes that, then you got a good deal, as long as it is definitely a trak-lok unit, and you now have something to start with for your build, and if not, don't sweat it as another one will turn up. If it turns out to be an open diff though, then it is basically worthless.
+1

If you can get it. Then I would take the Trak-lok and sell the rest of the rear for what you can (or keep it for parts?) You should probably rebuild it, because it more than likely has in excess of 100k miles, and then just add 3.73's to your pumpkin along with the Trak-lok, since 3.08's to 3.27s isn't really a step up.

Rebuild kit
http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Motorsport-M4700B-Traction-Lock-Rebuild/dp/B000CNNG42

and if you haven't read this article (may come in use)
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/traction-lok/traction-lok.htm

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
+1

If you can get it. Then I would take the Trak-lok and sell the rest of the rear for what you can (or keep it for parts?) You should probably rebuild it, because it more than likely has in excess of 100k miles, and then just add 3.73's to your pumpkin along with the Trak-lok, since 3.08's to 3.27s isn't really a step up.

Rebuild kit
http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Motorsport-M4700B-Traction-Lock-Rebuild/dp/B000CNNG42

and if you haven't read this article (may come in use)
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/traction-lok/traction-lok.htm
I prefer this one:

http://www.amazon.com/8-8-TRACTION-LOK-REBUILD-CARBON-DISCS/dp/B00361H4BI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1/184-7793093-6381253

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably will let RobertP. rebuild it, RobertP. if you could let me know how much something like that would go for it would be much appreciated.

Also, if anybody has a built 3.73 trac-lok please let me know price and etc too, just in case I can't get this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found a Rear that is supposedly a trac loc unit out of a 97 LX on craigslist for $100.

My first question is : Did 97 LX's have trac locs?

If so they were 3.27's if I'm not mistaken, so would it even be worth it since I'm running 3.08's with one tire fire.

I'm just wondering here because I want 3.73's with trac loc, so if anyone could weigh in on this I would appreciate it, and if anyone has a a 3.73 trac lock diff for a good price pls let me know that too.

Thanks

TJ
Check out this link.
http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford13.htm

If the tag is still on the differential this will help.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
sooo, just resurecting this old thread to ask a question. i was able to locate a 97 3l27 near me with 80k on it. the crasy buggers want $300 for it...

i was wondering what an ideal price range would be for something like that. maybe i can talk them down on it since its gonna need clutches, seals, and gear oil... not to mention its for an aging car nobody really repairs anymore, its not the aluminum case, the ratio is low, and they've probably been sitting on it a while... plus i may scrap the gears anyway and get something a bit higher.

beats my 3.08 open though :D

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
Too bad you're so far from Houston - Big Mike has a 3.77 just waiting for a home, for something like $150.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
12,263 Posts
Too bad you're so far from Houston - Big Mike has a 3.77 just waiting for a home, for something like $150.

RwP
You mean 3.73 ?

There is no 3.77 for our cars. It's either 3.55, 3.73, 3.90 or 4.10 (in that gear range) There are of course higher and lower gears.

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
3.73 then, yep. Too many numbers ;)

RwP

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, that would be nice XD at the moment Ive been just looking for a 96+ 3l27 with decent millage i can swap out my clunking 3.08 with... it has so much play in the spider gears its ridiculous, and the ratio isnt exactly peppy...

i was thinking at least 3.27, but 3.55 or 3.73 if i felt like cracking everything open and rebuilding it. but then i don't have a pinion depth gauge and stuff i need to do the job right...

anyway, i know that $300 is outrageous. and i was thinking about offering them like $100 for it. i mean i would pay $300 for the whole IRS system maybe, with the disk brakes attached... but not the pumpkin alone...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts