TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 Cougar was making some odd noises on the passenger bank and at first I thought it was a timing issue because my scan tool showed it was running very advanced at idle. After removing the valve cover earlier today I found a cam follower laying on top of the head. Undamaged, just chillin. I pulled the matching lifter and couldn't get it to collapse by hand. Is that typical? What would cause the follower to just come off like that?

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I can tell, you just pry them in and out. There are retained by nothing more than spring tension

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If the lifter was stuck open would that cause it? Because the one I pulled out won't collapse for me. The timing set in it is in working order, but I have tensioners and guides in the mail just to be safe. When I bought the car a year ago it had the wrong oil filter on it. I guess I'm just kinda hoping the lack of a drainback valve may have worn out the lifter/adjusters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: got everything buttoned back together after swapping timing chain tensioners, guides and all the lash adjusters and the problem persists. No CEL after all drivecycles have been completed. Finally got sick of wrenching in the AZ heat so I took it into Aamco. They have had it for 4 days now and can't tell me whats wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
If the follower fell off again, that valve is bent where it kissed a valve, usually by over-revving.

That's how I broke mine. :)

Now, because the bent valve won't slide freely in the valveguide, the cam pushed the valve down, the follower fell out, the piston pushed the valve back up; then the follower will rattle around, banging off various stuff until it finds a quiet spot to lay.

It will drive poorly on 7 cylinders, with really crappy gas mileage. :grin2:

You need a set of PI heads and intake to put on your block; that's perky. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't the valve spring close the valve once the follower came off? I just had an epiphany: #1 injector is stuck open. That caused the PCM to attempt to run the car off of bank 2. The timing adjustment could have caused a misfire while the valve was open (22 degrees advanced) which reverberated through the valve and tossed the follower out with the valve spring absorbing the brunt of the pre-ignition. The follower was put back in and the worn out lash adjuster was replaced. It hasn't come out since. Solid theory?

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If it threw the the same can follower two times, you can bet you have a slightly bent valve/damaged guide/weak valve spring. Drag between the valve and guide would make the valve not close as quickly as it should. A weak valve spring could exaggerate this problem, and possibly could be the source of the problem.

Once the valve hangs open and the cam is on base circle, there's enough free movement for the follower to fall out. A misfire wouldn't have anything to do with it because the "firing" happens when the valves are supposed to be closed. If a valve is open, compression just gets pushed past the valve and then you feel the misfire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts