TCCoA Forums banner

Stock tire sizes on a 4.6

5K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Asapientmachine 
#1 ·
When I got my car it had 215/70/15 tires on stock wheels. I've recently found that my local tire depot can't get that size any more over here, so I wondered what other sizes will fit on stock fanblades.

My handbook says the car should have had 205/70/15, but I was thnking maybe 225/65/15 maybe an option. Do any of you guys use those on stock fanblades?

#3 ·
Yes I saw from one of the tire comparison links that they give practically the same overall diameter.

#4 ·
Although they dont look very aggressive, I like the 205/70-15's, they fit the wheel perfect. The 215/70-15's are taller, and look like an innertube!

My car had the 215/65-15's on it when I got it, and they didnt fill the wheelwell enough.

Bigger, bulkier tires have a huge effect on gas mileage. Even new tires VS old tires do. I got 30 MPG averaged over an 1100 mile trip with old, balding tires. After getting new Michelin's, the mileage on the same trip dropped to 27, but the tires handled the curves at speed!

Al

#5 ·
Has anyone got 205's on their bird that could post a pic? I think the 215's look a bit skinny when you look at the car from behind. I'd have guessed that 205's would be even worse cosmetically.

Mine are going bald on the outside edges, but I'm hoping they'll scrape through our inspection which I have on Wednesday. I will need to change them soon though.

I've had the tracking checked and its all ok, nothings worn and it doesn't pull. The car's done it ever since I've had it (6.5yrs). I think its due to all the roundabouts (rotary's) over here.

#7 ·
I agree that the 205's would look even worse, and that the 235/60/15's are a great all around choice. They would improve the look, handling, and make those roundabouts more fun lol. If you go with white letter tires they are even better looking imo.

#9 ·
I'm currently running 245/60/15 on the back and the stockers up front, but will be changing the fronts to 235/60/15 when the fronts need to be changed. Should look really aggressive and cool with white letter tires all the way around lol. Remember my car is blacked out so the white letters really pop.

#11 ·
I've been running 225/60-15 BFG G-force sport tires for a few years; they're nice, but don't work well cold. :)

BF Goodrich is changing their tire sizes and lineups in April, according to an email I got.

They are discontinuing a lot of 15" tires this year... :mad:

#12 ·
235-60-15's are generally 25.6 - 26.0 tall. Too short in my opinion. Factory tires are around 26.6- 26.8 range.

The 245-60-15's are right at factory height and a bit wider and work well on the stock wheels and the car. The size up 255-60-15's work well too but usually wear slightly faster in the middle of the tire on stock wheels and standard air pressures.

Its all in what you want.

#13 ·
I bought some tires earlier today on the advice of the guy that tested my car. I didn't really want to go wider than 235, but they didn't have any 235's in a 15", so I ended up with 225/60/15. They look ok, but I'm a bit pissed that my speedo is now +5mph fast. It always was 2 or 3 fast, but now its +5. They couldn't even get 225/65's. .

#14 · (Edited)
Change your speedometer gear to the next one up. I believe you will need the Gray gear. Check out this thread: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132130

If you're off about 5 mph from 60-70 mph, replace your green speedo gear with a gray one and you will be dead on again (about 7%).

My speedometer was fast too when I changed my rear gear from 3.08 to 3.27; I had to switch from the green to the gray gear. With your shorter tires, you have a similar situation.

#15 ·
Thanks, my odometer is broken anyway, so I could do them both at the same time.

#16 ·
what do you guys think about doing 235/60R15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A coming from
BF 225/60R15

Is this too wide? (235) and what is the widest you can do on these cars with stock rims
without rubbing. What I have now isn't bad but it would be nice to move to the 235 if it
is wider. I was hoping to go a bit lower to 55R15 but I am not sure if they do something
like that and would they look funny?

thanks!!

#20 · (Edited)
The 235's look really good, better than my 225's. They look better proportionally imho.

One thing I noticed after switching from 215 to 225's is that the car seems to follow the truck ruts & white lines more than it used to. I'm used to it now, but initially it was a little weird. I would imagine the 235's are even worse? (or maybe your roads are better than ours!)

I had an 87 Firebird a while ago. That had 245's on the front, and followed the ruts REALLY badly. Sometimes it felt like you had to fight it out of them! I'm glad the T-bird isn't anywhere near as bad as that. (The Firebird did look good with the wide tyres though - the price you pay I guess!)

#21 ·
thanks, they look similar to my 225's so is it safe to say that 225 to 235 the tired is wider by 10in or 10mm (not sure how the tires are measured) Trunk Monkey did you ever go from 225 to 235?

thanks guys I will take some pics of my tires of the 225's to post later today

#22 ·
225/235 is the width of the tire. 225/60 means the height of the tirewall is 60% of the tire width.

#26 ·
thanks!!! yes the comparison and pictures are extremely helpful. I have pictures on my phone on my bird and the 225's. I will try and post them later tonight if they came out good. If not I think I have some older pictures with the 225's

How are you liking those Indy 500's?? They look nice.

#28 ·
Just like most other tires there have been bad batches.

#30 ·
Yea sure, I remember reading a thread about them somewhere. If I ever run across it again I will post it.
A while ago I was actually looking at getting those tires and I was talking to a friend about them and he said that he had them on a old car of his and he didnt like the way they handled. But what do I know, i've never used them.

#31 ·
I like them. In my experience up until now (I think I have put about 30k miles on them) they have great traction when it is dry and when you need it off the line. Although wet or snowy or moisture of any kind and you will not find traction. So just my kinda tire :D ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.