TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 93 parts car that somebody got in and stole the only key I had left in it, it had no battery in it,so they took the key and broke the outside where the key inserts and it just turns now.Any ideas how I can get this thing started again so I can at least move it. Heard you might have to pull the steering wheel to get to locking tumbler.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Pull the trim off the steering column, and you will see a rectangular connector with a bolt in the middle. That is the actual ignition switch, which is actuated by a rod in the column that turns when you turn the key. Remove the 2 bolts holding the switch to the column, and when you drop it down, you will see the slide on the other side. As you slide it forward, it will turn the igniton on, then slide it a little further forward and it will start the car. To shut it off, simply slide the switch back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MadMickeyL,I'll give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
I'd call a locksmith; but, since whoever stole your key is probably waiting to seal the car as soon as you get it running, I'd find a new keyset.

You have to have the key to get the lockset out, unless you drill it out.

I'd pay a locksmith to do that, personally. Swapping the column after you ruin it with a drill is a *****. :)

I'd install a disable switch, at least a starter lockout, or unplug something not easily visible; like the eec. :)

I remove the eec fuse, personally.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
He said it is a parts car. Probably not worth the $200 for a locksmith for a parts car.

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
My bad, I missed that part.

So adding solenoids to that switch could make my car pushbutton start; hmmmm. (and more easily stealable, lol.)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Pull the trim off the steering column, and you will see a rectangular connector with a bolt in the middle. That is the actual ignition switch, which is actuated by a rod in the column that turns when you turn the key. Remove the 2 bolts holding the switch to the column, and when you drop it down, you will see the slide on the other side. As you slide it forward, it will turn the igniton on, then slide it a little further forward and it will start the car. To shut it off, simply slide the switch back.
The steering wheel will still be locked so you can't steer it, but you can start the engine. Here is a picture for illustrative purposes (from my 1994):

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do I unlock the steering?Heard you can maybe drill out where you insert the key?

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
To get the tumbler set out without the key, Yes, that's how.

There's a procedure in the service manual, and there's a pdf file of it floating around somewhere.

I won't post how here, and I recommend that others consider this: because that's basically how to steal our cars.

If you call a locksmith, he will show up with a box of ford keys and try them until one works; then cut you one of those.

That's how they made me a trunk key.

There's only about a couple dozen keys... :surprise:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
My bad, I missed that part.

So adding solenoids to that switch could make my car pushbutton start; hmmmm. (and more easily stealable, lol.)
My tbird is a push to start.
The button is a giant red button right in front of the M5R2.
Back when the car was street legal and I had to drive it from SF to Sacramento to get the rollcage updated, I needed to pee so I took the steering wheel into the bathroom.
Between that, the manual transmission, and the rolled on paint job, I'm pretty sure noone was going to steal it

-g

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts