TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any sound clips of No cat's/res/mufflers/ on a 4.6L. Any clips would be very appreciated. Thanks:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
The best I might be able to offer is a sample of straight pipes WITH cats and resonator. Probably not the sound you're looking for - sounds pretty much like a Mustang with Dynomax muffs to me, not really loud at all.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just cut off my mufflers yesterday and threw on some long chrome tips. It looks kinda sweet. Dosen't sound too bad either. Maybe i'll post some pics in a few.
Wow.. it's been forever since i've posted... :leftright

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ugh. Decided to play with my cheap exhaust by eliminating the tailpipes and just putting turndowns in place right where the old muffs connected. AUGH! DRONE! (Much a much nicer volume/tone.) Not as bad as some setups I've had in the past, but bordering on the edge of intrusive. I guess the resonance becomes an issue when the exhaust doesn't completely clear the underside of the vehicle (sound waves bounce back up or something). But it sounds a tad meaner. Debating whether I should order a pair of long chrome tips and have 'em welded on, or just leave it with the cheap turndowns and keep the stealthy look (tailpipes are utterly invisible, might be worth additionally shaving the V8 badges for a V6-like sleeper look).

Anyway, in short, if you do the muffler-chopping gig, make sure your tailpipes clear the underside. Failure to do so results in uber-drone.

EDIT: Grab a tube of Magnum Steel or something similar, if you wanna do this on your own for cheap - JB Weld/JB Quik and 4-Minute Steel work good, too, but aren't as easy to apply. The mix-by-hand stuff squishes into place easily around the connection, sets up quick, holds up nicely against the temps it'll see at the rear exhaust section, and it'll seal up your new tailpipes to your stock piping so you won't have any leakage that'll create additional drone and/or the occasional embarrassment of passing out from carbon monoxide poisoning. ;) Using that stuff, I sealed up the connections where I clamped on my re-rigged tailpipes and it cured the droning issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts