TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any opinion or ideas on this subject or related links? Since the goal of a performance muffler is to minimize back flow, how is it better than straight pipes?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Straight pipes have severe drone and are rather raspy on acceleration, also poppy during deceleration, but some people like that sound.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here's some good data for your question:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=52541

But, even with that information, I still have a simple muffler delete. I like the noise level and tone I currently have. Eventually, I want to even out the inconsistency of the sound and performance of the straight pipes, though.

Plus, I live in NJ and inspection is almost impossible to pass :bangwall:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Until you do something to your exhaust up near the engine (where scavenging is important), the only difference you're gonna see is up to 9 rwhp (as you can see in the link posted above).

After the headers & the front cats, NO change is gonna help over 10hp guaranteed...
(Well, unless you mount a remote-turbo! :rofl:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if straigt pipes could be insulated where they aren't visible under the care. @netkeym: cant you just say it has a blown hg and its parked on the street so they'll give you tabs?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Interested in this discussion. I have true dual exhaust with flowmaster tips. (I know) but it sounds good I promise. However, my exhaust manifolds and front cats are stock. If I was to get kooks or mustang headers I would have to do away with the front cats correct? Not a problem if so, I live in East Tennessee so no inspections at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Interested in this discussion. I have true dual exhaust with flowmaster tips. (I know) but it sounds good I promise. However, my exhaust manifolds and front cats are stock. If I was to get kooks or mustang headers I would have to do away with the front cats correct? Not a problem if so, I live in East Tennessee so no inspections at all.
most mustang headers won't fit due to steering shaft placement in our cars.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Dont do straight pipes. It sounds like a boat motor at idle and the drone will make you want to put a hole in your head to releasse the pressure after a long drive. I know from experience in my Tbird

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I know. Actually I thought they could be made to work by modifying one of the driver side pipes.
If you do this could you make a second set?? :D

Seriously though I would buy the headers ship them to you and pay you for the work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you do this could you make a second set?? :D

Seriously though I would buy the headers ship them to you and pay you for the work.
I wish I could. However I can't weld very well. There is a couple of good shops here in the area that I have faith in who will likely be doing the work. Does the author of the how to not do that for people? In any case, if you don't have a shop in the area that will/can do it, and the shop around here does good, then you could ship it to me and I'll take it to them. We'll see. This is likely not in the real immediate future anyway. Just seen, a relevant post and took the opportunity to ask the question (which was never answered :tongue:)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I know. Actually I thought they could be made to work by modifying one of the driver side pipes.
You thought correctly. ;)

Just seen, a relevant post and took the opportunity to ask the question (which was never answered :tongue:)
answer to what? you're all over the place man, even within your own threads lol :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Haha. Yeah I know. I'm scatter brained. The question was, if I did run long tube headers if the front cats had to be removed.
either is possible if you know what you're doing, like me. ;)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
If I remember some bit of tccoa tech a pair of hi flo cats actually help smooth out the flow of air helping your car run better. So I take it a performance muff could help in the same way. Straight pipes are ok as they dont hinder but they dont help improve anything. I can run straight pipes but would I want to hear all that noise? Hell no! Performance muffs help the exhaust flow well and not give you redneck levels of open header noise seems like a no brainer. And trust me I like loud but Id rather hear my stereo or the engine itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts