TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car started acting up at my work's parking lot. starts but then it dies out. i know its not the idle bypass valve cause it starts and even if i accelerate it or put a piece of hose on the throttle stop, acts as if would cut the fuel off. i'll rev it @ 2000 rpm steady and even if i dont move the throttle it still dies. i had to leave it at work (30mi away) any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
fuel filter

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
then why don't you list everything you've done to the car recently as well as what you've checked (you have checked things so far, right?) to avoid this merry-go-round??

for what it's worth, i got $5 on a huge vacuum leak

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
brand new
oooooooo ok I'm outta here....

then why don't you list everything you've done to the car recently as well as what you've checked (you have checked things so far, right?) to avoid this merry-go-round??

for what it's worth, i got $5 on a huge vacuum leak
That is a good guess. Does it rev on it's own then die?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
He'll chime in with more stuff.

But can you imagine if our forecast was that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so far i checked:
spark plug wires
coil connections
for loose wires
bypass valve
fuses
i couldnt get under the car to check wiring down there
im going to check the cpu for codes but check engine light is not even on(bulb is good)

·
Super Moderator
11,875 Posts
Battery, alternator, bad gas, no gas (fuel pump)? I bet it's the IAC.

Clean the MAF!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
today i check engine light came on after more attemps to start it. i got a P0102 code which is the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input

is this a dirty sensor?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
:zwthstpd:

Did you try this yet?
:zwthstpd: me too... But Chris, wouldn't a bad MAF only show up in closed-loop, not when cold in open-loop? :zdunno:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
open-loop doesnt mean that the maf isn't used....it means that the loop that the PCM uses for air:fuel tuning is "broken up" by not using the O2s as a means of feedback on the maf......when in open-loop, all it means is that fueling is based off of whatever lambda is commanded the Base_Fuel_Table, and not gasoline's stoichiometric ratio of 14.67:1

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
open-loop doesnt mean that the maf isn't used....it means that the loop that the PCM uses for air:fuel tuning is "broken up" by not using the O2s as a means of feedback on the maf......when in open-loop, all it means is that fueling is based off of whatever lambda is commanded the Base_Fuel_Table, and not gasoline's stoichiometric ratio of 14.67:1
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought open-loop used ONLY that Base_Fuel_Table and not the other inputs, such as MAF. I remember when my MAF went bad, it would only show up when the car was hot, it always ran good cold; that's the only experience I was going by...

Regardless, did the OP try unplugging it?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought open-loop used ONLY that Base_Fuel_Table and not the other inputs, such as MAF.
you're right...it ONLY uses the Base_Fuel_Table, but you just gotta remember that this fuel table is not a table of injector pulsewidths vs RPM for the computer to command...it is a table of air:fuel ratios (in terms of lambda), so it still needs to know actual ingested airfllow to compute fuel delivery requirements, therefore the maf is inextricably mixed with the Base_Fuel_table

i doubt he has followed some of the advice here...lol....everyone wants everything solved by gedankenexperiment lol

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
you're right...it ONLY uses the Base_Fuel_Table, but you just gotta remember that this fuel table is not a table of injector pulsewidths vs RPM for the computer to command...it is a table of air:fuel ratios (in terms of lambda), so it still needs to know actual ingested airfllow to compute fuel delivery requirements, therefore the maf is inextricably mixed with the Base_Fuel_table

i doubt he has followed some of the advice here...lol....everyone wants everything solved by gedankenexperiment lol
Gotcha on the EEC, but I don't get the gedankenexperiment :zdunno:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts