TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 94 4.6 tbird with about 160k (not sure cause the odometer broke 6 mos. ago). the past few days, when i start the car cold or sometimes when the car's been off for only 10 minutes or more, there is a strange "bark" noise on start-up, it sounds like metal rubbing on metal maybe, only for a split second. It happens directly after the starter does its job cranking and the engine "starts". I don't know if it's because if the extreme cold here in NY or not, i didn't own the car last winter. The oil level is okay, i run 10w30 and i don't really want to run any lower because it would eat too much oil with it's leaky valve seals.

I keep the car tuned-up, it's had everything done when it's supposed to since i've had it. Any ideas on what this noise could mean? Could this be some missing teeth on the flywheel, i've never had one go bad on me before but i could imagine this is what it would sound like. any help would be greatly appriciated, thanx.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
could be a slipping belt check your tensioner and serp belt

·
Registered
171 Posts
Also can be A/C compressor doing that as well. My 95 cougar and 03 ranger do that when they're cold and I left the a/c or defrost on when I shut it off

·
Registered
142 Posts
i had the same noise and it ended up being my starter rubbing on the flywheel....my car made a loud chirping/grinding noise

1 - 5 of 5 Posts