TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before christmas, my car was struggling to start. It would have to crank quite a few times before turning over. I didn't think anything of it... i thought it was just because it was cold outside.
But on christmas, the show was no go. no crank, no nothing. The family suggested a bad battery. It was exactly what i was thinking so i replaced it. Still nothing. But it started with a jump. My old cavalier had a similar problem that ended up being the starter, so I replaced the starter next. No change. Still started with a jump. "Maybe the alts just not charging the sweet battey i got." It wasn't the alt.

I don't remember if it was after the starter or the alt, but the car would start with some work... I would turn the key and nothing would happen for a few seconds when it would let out a peep of a crank. another second would pass and it would crank again. and the intervals between cranks would shorten. when it finally sounded like a normal starter, i would still have to try a few times for it to finally turn over.

I've spent a lot of time, effort, and money trying to find this problem and i'm considering becoming an anitsocial hermit because of it. I beg for some sanity in my life. Is it a crankshaft sensor, maf, fuel pump, ground, what?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
it is possible though unlikely that the ignition cylinder itself is bad, or your 3 main wires could be bad, or it could be a ground, check your terminal wires, check your grounds, see if you find anything wrong with those, I'm sure others will peep up with more suggestions

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i just had ANOTHER looksie, and i found that the guy who put my starter in torqued the clamp onto the negative terminal so hard that it broke.
so there is no getting that thing super tight. could that be the deal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guess not. it seems like that was part of the problem but it didn't do much. now when i turn the key i just get a clicking noise from what sounds like the drivers side. no cranking whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The crank sensor and cam sensor are both mounted towards the front of the engine, one on the pass. side, and one on the driver's side. The one on the pass. side is near the AC compressor

Sometimes the connector on the pass. side gets dirty, and some electronic contact spray cleaner does the trick.

This has been a common problem on the 4.6 T-Bird.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
master486 said:
FYI the crank and cam sensors will not in any way prevent the engine from turning over.

Good point - my bad - scratch my other post.

I agree that it could be a bad ground.

Maybe start with the negative battery cable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, this is something i have to ask about. you'll have to excuse me i'm young and naive.

What am i doing with the negative battery cable? What am i checking it for?

btw, i deeply appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
13,649 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Look at your battery connections carefully, make sure they're clean, unbroken, and tight. I had similar trouble with mine. I had to replace my negative connector.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Trace the negative cable from the battery to it's other end. Check that whatever it connects to has a clean, tight connection. I don't have my T-Bird anymore, so I can't be more exact. My point was to check both ends of your battery cable, and make sure they're ok.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you can jump start it i would try new ends on the battery cables. ive had that problem with more than 1 car. cost like 3 buck for 2 terminals and they take a couple minutes to put on.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
check for corrosion under the plastic protection around the wires. Look for any bulges or breaks in the plastic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts