TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey sorry this question isn't about my cougar, but I'm really in need of some help from the modmotor gurus on the forum. I've had a strange intermittent bucking problem with my 03 Mach 1. Basically the car ever blue moon will give me one single buck usually will cruising in 5th. It is as if the entire motor goes dead for just a split second and then everything is back to normal.

I originally thought it was a fuel pump problem as I had an issue about a year ago where the car wouldn't start for a few days and then finally came back to life. The fuel pump finally died totally a few months back and I replaced it with a brand new unit. Well even with the new pump I still get this hiccup ever once and awhile.

When I tell people they naturally assume misfire, but I know the roughness of a misfire and this is way more dramatic (like a misfire on all cylinders). Another thing to mention is that the car has never thrown a code and since it happens so little I can't have my scanner hooked up constantly to monitor what has happened. I've replaced the fuel filter a few times, which doesn't seem to make a difference either.

The car only has a catback system and a short throw shifter everything else is stock down to the paper filter. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed so light on this issue. I've asked on my Mach 1 forum and no one seems to have an answer.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
Possibly a crank sensor?

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Very interesting... my Cougar will do the EXACT same thing! Cruising along in OD, then all of a sudden it feels like the engine or transmission "binds up" for a split second, making the car buck. Only happens once per trip every couple weeks, and there are no other symptoms... Totally different powertrain, I understand, but still weird...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly a crank sensor?
Maybe, but I've never had any starting problems exept for the two times before I replaced the fuel pump (the pump wasn't even priming). Which I guess would show up once in awhile if the crank sensor was going bad. Also, it hasn't thrown a code though that doesn't mean anything. Maybe I'll take a look at the sensor and give it a cleaning.

Very interesting... my Cougar will do the EXACT same thing! Cruising along in OD, then all of a sudden it feels like the engine or transmission "binds up" for a split second, making the car buck. Only happens once per trip every couple weeks, and there are no other symptoms... Totally different powertrain, I understand, but still weird...
Yea sounds pretty much like my car it almost always happens on the highway, though it did hadn't the other day while I was lightly accelerating in 2nd gear.

Another thing to mention is this doesn't seem to be moisture related as it just happened the other day and it hasn't rained in more than two weeks. In fact I can't even recall a time it happened in the rain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts