TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a bad clunck/metal hitting metal sound when i put my car in reverse, manually downshift, or even sometime when i put t in a foward gear. it comes from under the car, sounds like it might be a bad u joint or bad tranny mount or both. i was just wondering if anyone else ever had this and what the problem was.

Frank

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Do you get any kind of clunk (as described here) when giving it light throttle while in gear? I have a clunk in my drive train and pretty much have all the symptoms you described, plus what I asked about above. I have a brand new solid trans mount, new U-joints, and poly differential and cross member bushings. I dunno what my problem is :confused: From what you described, it does sound like it may be your U-joints though. Maybe someone can give us a better method of checking them besides wiggling the DS back and forth.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaron K. said:
Do you get any kind of clunk (as described here) when giving it light throttle while in gear? I have a clunk in my drive train and pretty much have all the symptoms you described, plus what I asked about above. I have a brand new solid trans mount, new U-joints, and poly differential and cross member bushings. I dunno what my problem is :confused: From what you described, it does sound like it may be your U-joints though. Maybe someone can give us a better method of checking them besides wiggling the DS back and forth.
no i dont have the clunk your talking about in that thread. i gotta get under my car and see if there's some play in the driveshaft. are u-joints expensive to replace?

Frank

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
how are the motor mounts, tranny mount, irs bushings????

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jordansypek said:
how are the motor mounts, tranny mount, irs bushings????
they're all stock, 56k on them

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
check that trans mount. When I had my transmission changed out in october, the OE mount was sheared in two(mad crazy torque:))Mine did the same thing, clunk in reverse, clunk into drive, etc...

joseph

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah, i agree it's probably your trans mount. I have new motormounts, and a stout rear differential mount and i still have the clunk. I've never replaced my trans mount, so i'm sure it's failed by now

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Mine clunks going into reverse and somtimes into drive. No cluncking while moving. Had the problem before and replaced right half-shaft with junk yard replacement due to bad joint. Not sure if it is a U-joint or CV joint in these half shafts. Problem is back and Raxles are going in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts