TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I parked my 96 Cougar and set the dealer add-on alarm and noticed the chirp didn't sound right. Tried to unlock it with the fob and nothing. Open the car manually, pop the hood and cut the siren power so I can hear myself think, then I start to investigate. The interior lights aren't working and the power locks will only lock the doors, not unlock. Also, the car won't start because I can't turn the alarm off (keyfob was the only way I had to turn it off). Thanks to the search function and the answer I got from Jon (he had the same problem...search is great!) I fixed all the problems by..............rewiring the underhood light that had shorted out because the wires got stretched. That and replacing the blown fuse and everything works again. I would have NEVER thought an underhood light could cause sooo many problems.I just had to post this so hopefully it helps someone else.

Gratefull for the archive,
Lorne
96 Cougar 4.6

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
LOL and everyone b*tches that Ford got cheap and deleted that crummy electronics frying underhood light for '97. The reality is Ford did us '97 owners a favor deleting it!

Your lucky I guess, I've heard of this killing alot more electronics then just the fuse when it eventually shorts out.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
hmmm I don't recall seeing an under hood light on my 95 cat, and the one in the trunk doesn't work even though the bulb is fine. I will have to see the the light under the hood , so whats the fix for it anyway? just add some wire? and where should the wire be added ? at the light or further down the line? I do have random electrical issues so maybe this will fix them.. I hope anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.