TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I tried searching but didn't find anything exactly like what I'm experiencing. I am having a wierd hesitation problem that occurs for the first 10 minutes or so after starting the car, but then seems to clear up. When I am accelerating, if I try to step on the gas pedal any more than say 25% of the way down, my Bird will hesitate, kind of buck a little, and hardly accelerate at all up to about 2300-2500 RPM. Then all of the sudden, once I reach that RPM range, ALL of the power will come in and she will accelerate like normal from that point on.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
edward try chaning your plugs and wires, sounds like it is not firing properly. also try cleaning your MAF and your filter. that should clean up the problem and if it doesnt then its your coil packs then we'll take it from there if it is. but try changing the plugs and wires

Rigel

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Until the car warms up, the computer holds back spark advance. I'm talking about after it warms up. My problem was the plug wire where it plugs into the coil pack tower. It took a little time to find it. I changed coil packs, but made no differance. It was wierd, once I found which one it was. I could rotate the wire in the tower about 25% and the thing would pick up and go like it was off the showroom floor, but would idle like s***. Put it back to the old position and it would heitate like you say, but idle butter smooth. So, I removed all the wires one at a time. Roughed up the brass terminal till it was shiney with a little sand paper, cleaned all residue from the coil tower, and then swabbed on a little silicone grease. Just enough to give a little coat. Problem solved. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll start checking these things out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
no problem let me know how everything works out

Rigel

·
Registered
26 Posts
After you try the suggestions above and you still have problems, try going to Ford and doing a carbon cleaning. They may call it a different service from dealership to dealership. I have just made service manager here at our dealership after breaking my teeth after 9 years as a tech. I have seen many vehicles that had your symptoms that had carbon buildup, especially with high miles.
Your MAF could be sending lazy signals to PCM. They have been known to do that. You could check it with a DVOM.
unmetered air entering the system causing the system to run lean under load causing lean misfires.
unlikely but possible, blown or blowing head gasket.
coking of intake valves.

there are a few more and a few with TSB's but I'm not supposed to disclose those.
let me know how your bird is doin'. good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts