TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to cleaning my maf sensor wires.. i took everything off.. cleaned it with a q-tip and windex and then put the maf sensor back on.. rehooked the harness.. I even unhooked the battery for a couple of hours. No my car is acting really funny. When it's at idel the whole car shakes and it acts like it wants to die. sometimes when I accelerate my car makes a poping sound. I was wondering if I might have damaged the wires or what seems to be the problem. My car did not have this problem before I cleaned the wires. If I did break the wires and are screwed then where can I get a new one and how much do they run.. any advice would be greatful

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
I can't tell you what's wrong but if the harness is plugged in correctly you probably toasted the wires somehow. The symptoms are consistent with a bad MAF. If you need one, I have my old MAF that was in perfect working order when I replaced it with a new 80mm unit. PM me if you're interested in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
flybirdfly said:
I finally got around to cleaning my maf sensor wires.. i took everything off.. cleaned it with a q-tip and windex and then put the maf sensor back on.......... Now my car is acting really funny.

...I've been putting off cleaning my MAF wires for that very reason. CEL is on and it idles rough when cold. I was going to have AutoZone check the codes, and then clean my MAF wires, but I'm afraid I'll make it worse.....

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
A little spray solvent and some computer cleaning air is about all you need to use, the idea of a Q tip is soooo darned silly. Why not a baseball bat,? a cold chisel? At verry most a fine tipped sable hair atrtists brush (or equivalent)to gently repeat, gentlyt pick off some otherwise unmoveing stuff on the bobbins...... the fibers from a Q- tip probably hung up and contaminated it more , or broke the wire element, which is absolutely bad MO-JO good luck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just cleaned my MAF a little over a week ago now, it wasnt even very hard. I used a Q-tip, and I think it worked great. If you are carfull and watch what you are doing, you shouldnt get fibers stuck anywhere. Cleaning the MAF fixed the problem I hoped it would, and Ive had no troubles since. I dont know much about cars, but could it be you damaged your MAF in a way that the computer isnt allowing enough gas/air? Who knows....

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Well… I use rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip. It is true that I am careful but I have not toasted a MAF to date.

I usually take a shot at the IAT sensor when I have the MAF off. If you have an oil coated air filter the temperature sensor can get a light coating of oil on it that could cause a looping idle when at a stop light.

My car acts funny too after I un-plug the EEC. But I have a custom burnt EEC. It has to re-learn some stuff. It generally clears it’s self up in a day or two.

If it goes on for more than a week you may have pulled a "Leland" and messed up the wires. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I just use an alcohol prep pad and roll a corner up. Make sure you get any stray fibers off before you are done cleaning it.
Alan

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was curious about the Windex as well. I bought some electric contact cleaner from CRC and used the Q-tip method as that is what is stated in the tech tip. Worked like a charm...no problems.

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
Windex leaves a film, I wouldn't use it. I've done the alcohol/q-tip method but prefer the electrical contact cleaner and canned air.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm having the same problem.. when I floor it it does nothing and it acts like it wants to backfire but doesn't and I smell a burning smell as well.. what can i do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts