TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for idle problems, but I didn't find anybody that had this same issue.

Whenever I pull up to a stop, the engine usually sits at a decent RPM, but every 4-7 seconds the engine revs up 250-300 RPM higher and drops back down again.
Now this time (4-7sec) changes between times I drive the car but not between different stop lights. Somedays it does not have this problem at all but most times it does.

You can problably see why this would be a problem. Most of the time I just come to a stop and am barely touching the brakes, then the engine revs a little and the car creeps forward. If someone is in front of me I need to push on the brakes harder to keep from hitting them.
It is actually kindof funny to watch the car creep forward every 4 seconds, like clockwork.

The engine continues to rev even if I shift into neutral.

Anyone else seen this issue before?

The only other problem I have has is torque converter shudder, which I have been having for about 5 years but since it doesn't get worse I don't get a new TC.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Does this happen when you have you're defroster or ac on?

The AC compressor will cycle depending on outside temperature and the charge.
If it cycles on or off it will give a slight serge of power.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i have that same problem. started happening when i bought the cheapo brand plug wires. maybe related, probably not. its been doin it for almost year - never gotten worse. i just hold the brakes a lil harder.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure I have switched to mercon V. I will make sure next time I do the tranny.

Good to know I am not alone. If it just another one of those issues that don't really contribute to the degradation of the car's ability to run and won't get any worse, I can live with it. Same as my TC.

Just hope my bird will last me another 2-3 years.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I searched for idle problems, but I didn't find anybody that had this same issue.

Whenever I pull up to a stop, the engine usually sits at a decent RPM, but every 4-7 seconds the engine revs up 250-300 RPM higher and drops back down again.
Now this time (4-7sec) changes between times I drive the car but not between different stop lights. Somedays it does not have this problem at all but most times it does.

You can problably see why this would be a problem. Most of the time I just come to a stop and am barely touching the brakes, then the engine revs a little and the car creeps forward. If someone is in front of me I need to push on the brakes harder to keep from hitting them.
It is actually kindof funny to watch the car creep forward every 4 seconds, like clockwork.

The engine continues to rev even if I shift into neutral.

Anyone else seen this issue before?

The only other problem I have has is torque converter shudder, which I have been having for about 5 years but since it doesn't get worse I don't get a new TC.

-Alex
My car does that sometimes, too. It's usually when it's cold out and it's usually accompanied by a loud whining/groaning noise that fluctuates with the revs. I think people around here said before that it was probably the IAC, I just haven't spent the time to figure out how to go about replacing it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The IAC just bolts on with 2 bolts. It's just getting to it that's difficult on your engine.
Yeah, about the most extensive thing I've really done on my car (aside from installing my stereo system) is removing the intake silencer and installing the Mustang calipers. Yeah, lame. Part of it has been money and part of it has been unwillingness to risk having my car out of commission for any extended length of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts