TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the car has been running just great lately....no issues at all. Yesterday it was extremely hot out...something like 110. I went out once, probably drove 20 miles, had no problems with the car, everything acted as it should, didn't even run hot.

So I drove to work last night, again, no problems.

I got off work at 0700 today, unlocked the car, got in, turned the key on, all was normal, went to start, and the key turned, the car did nothing. It was basically doing what it does when you try to start it in drive.

I moved the shifter to N from P and tried it, still nothing. Moved the shifter back & forth, jiggled the ignition around, popped the hood, checked any connections I could see/think of, everything was fine.

I try it one more time, no luck. Walk back up to work, tell the boss the car might be there for a while, she says fine. I try it again, and it fires right up, no problem, no cranking time, just FIRES UP!

It drove home just fine, no issues what-so-ever...I turned it off and it fired right up again...no problem.

Any ideas? My battery is good was putting out 12 volts with the key on and between 12,13,14 while running, alternator is new, it's not a fuse because it wouldn't have started period if that where the case.

My experiences with starters going is that they will click...there was no sound or anything, just turn the key, nothing happens, then it fixed itself.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Earl

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Was the radio reset after you got it started? That happened to me one day in the sho and come to find out the wires were loose from the terminal on the battery. Dont know if that the same case but its something to look at.

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
My thoughts are drawn to the ignition switch under the dash...

Just my .02.

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
The switch is a white box at the end of the steering column. Sometimes the plastic rod that connects the lock cylinder to the switch breaks and fails to actuate the switch, and sometimes the switch itself corrodes out and goes bad. The plastic rods should run you about twenty bucks or so (ask Jon at the parts counter), not sure about the switch itself though.

However... I haven't actually had a problem with the switch before, so I'm advising you based on threads I've read in the past about similar issues. I'd wait for someone who's messed around up there before to chime in before you go buying parts and such. :)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The switch is a white box at the end of the steering column. Sometimes the plastic rod that connects the lock cylinder to the switch breaks and fails to actuate the switch, and sometimes the switch itself corrodes out and goes bad. The plastic rods should run you about twenty bucks or so (ask Jon at the parts counter), not sure about the switch itself though.

However... I haven't actually had a problem with the switch before, so I'm advising you based on threads I've read in the past about similar issues. I'd wait for someone who's messed around up there before to chime in before you go buying parts and such. :)
thanks...hope somebody can help with this...I am hesitant to go anywhere right now with the car the way it is.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I had a very very similar problem with my old 90. Take the bottom plastic cover off the steering column and look for a white connector with about 20 wires going into it. Wiggle it around and see if it's loose. If it is, replace the ignition switch... it's something like $15.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I vote starter...mine did this. Turn the key to start and nothing, like there was no battery. Next time it does it, take a small hammer or something and lightly tap the solenoid on the starter and try it. If it cranks, it's the starter.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I vote starter...mine did this. Turn the key to start and nothing, like there was no battery. Next time it does it, take a small hammer or something and lightly tap the solenoid on the starter and try it. If it cranks, it's the starter.
Should make CLICK!

My thoughts are drawn to the ignition switch under the dash...

Just my .02.

-Maic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts