TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not a thunderbird but I'm trying to figure a starting point. every once in a great while my truck will just shut off while driving, I would have to put it in neutral or park and start it right back up like nothing happen, but just tonight it shut off again and wouldn't restart for about 3 minutes, now it's running like nothing ever happen, any ideas? it would shut off at random times, whether it be stopped at a stop sign or cruising down the street.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Does it do it only while warm? Only while cold? Vehicle info? Recent repairs/maintenance? How long has the problem be occuring?

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Your TFI Module might be the issue..

Early Fords had the TFI Module mounted to the Distributor..

Then a few years later they moved it away from the distributor because it was getting too hot mounted there..

Which was causing cars and trucks to stall in dangerous situations..Like an intersection.. :eek:

They also added a heat sink to them to help keep them cool..

Once Ford added the heat sink, and located them away from the engine..The problem pretty much dissapeared..

If you find out the TFI Module is your problem..There is re-location kits available, or you could make your own from a donor vehicle like an MN12.. :D

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
Another vote for TFI module.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the last couple times it died its like someone just turned the key off, Didn't stumble our stutter it just quit with the dash lights coming on like I just turned the key on. I'm going to change plugs and wires before the big snow actually his up here but my ignition actuator is broke and I have to start it by using a needle nose pliers & pushing the rod down. I got an appointment to get that fixed on Friday. I'm wondering if that odd the issue, thank you guys for the assistance

·
Registered
134 Posts
the last couple times it died its like someone just turned the key off, Didn't stumble our stutter it just quit with the dash lights coming on like I just turned the key on. I'm going to change plugs and wires before the big snow actually his up here but my ignition actuator is broke and I have to start it by using a needle nose pliers & pushing the rod down. I got an appointment to get that fixed on Friday. I'm wondering if that odd the issue, thank you guys for the assistance
you may find that your problems go away when you replace the actuator. might also consider replacing the switch as well while you are there, it likely has a ton of miles on it. and i also vote for the TFI module having issues. you can check it though fairly easily, all you need is a heat gun. start the engine, and direct the heat gun on the TFI module, and heat it up. if the engine shuts down, then you have found the problem and need a module.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Make sure you get the exact same replacement - there are two different kinds.

Looks like you have the grey one, the black one is different.

Anyways, that's been the way I've seen it - grey vs. black. I hate to say it's ALWAYS like that because who knows what color manufacturers use!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I'll keep everybody posted after the actuator get's changed this Friday. I got to buy some autolite copper 25's & new wires for a good tune-up before more snow falls, We got hit with a wicked winter storm about 2 weeks ago, It dropped as much as 52" in some areas within 2 days, Took down tree's & power lines. It's times like this I need the old guy to be running smooth!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts