TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well last night the car ran fantastic and i raced a bmw all over most of birmingham...this morning it drove fine to class and back home...then when me and some friends were about to meet up to go to the drag strip about 2 stop signs from my house it develops a weird missfire

when it idles it shakes and there is an occasional "pop,pop,pop" and when ever accelerating it it has a misfire and runs horrible but when it shifts gears for a split second it actually sounds like it should and then goes back to sounding terrible once it gets into gear

any ideas? i just pulled the MAF out and cleaned that and it wasn't that...pulled 4 spark plugs so far and they all looked fine :confused:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
hmmmm mine did that a few years ago. but i couldnt really drive it. it would idle really rough. when i would try to move it it would shoot fire out the duals and really boom. it was the distributor.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i am experiencing spark blowout/misfire at WOT. i purchased 42KV coils,plugs and wires. last time i cleaned the plugs and where the boots plug to the plugs and it went away. this time i am changing it all. accell,taylor,autolites. i hope it cures it permanently.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
check all of you plugs, they aren't that hard to access, check your wires, how old are your plugs and wires? make sure you use di-electric grease on the boots when re-installing. Is it throwing a code? It should if its misfiring on mutiple cylinders like you say it is, find out which ones, check those throughly... a multimeter is your friend

·
5,650 Posts
First, do like it has been said and check your plugs. Second, when the car is on and running in a dark place, spray around each of the coils. If you see any arching, then you can try replacing the boot on that coil. Also, get the thing scanned for codes. There should be at least one misfire code if it's been happening long enough.

BTW, after you cleaned the MAF did you reset the computer? If you didn't, this could be the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have coils, so checking the wires wont net me much hehe, haven't reset the computer...might try that...

not throwing any codes either, tried that too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts