TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a '94 SC/AT. It had been sitting in my driveway since Sept of '02 when it was replaced with a Mercury Marauder. As luck would have it, several weeks ago my niece smashed up her Contour. My brother-in-law gave her his Taurus, and I gave him the T-bird. It only needed some minor repairs to be made road-worthy.

Last Saturday I got a chance to drive the old girl again. When I stepped on it fairly hard, there was a loud sound from the front that I can only describe as a sharp "clack". I immediately backed off the throttle and the car seemed normal. A little further down the road I had a chance to step on it again and had the same thing happen, only this time I noticed that when the "clack" sound occurred, the boost gauge went from 12 to 15 lbs. I let up again immediately and drove the car back to its new home.

The car sounds and drives normally otherwise. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is possible you heard some loud detonation...was the gas old I assume?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there was very little gas in it while it sat, and that had all been burned through. I know what detonation sounds like and this wasn't it...this was a single sharp "clack"...the best I can describe the sound is if you took one of those flat wooden paint-stirrers and slapped it down on your kitchen counter, once.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a suggestion or leave it.
There's no need to be rude...

I was just asking how a broken motor mount could cause the boost, which has never gone above 12 in 152,000 miles of driving, to sudden peg at 15 at the exact same time the strange noise occurred. If there's a logical explanation, then I'm all ears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been "one of those days", so maybe I took your "take it or leave it" comment the wrong way...if so, I apologise.

·
Registered
172 Posts
after mine sitting for 1&1/2 years and with old gas, i took mine around the block last night to test the trans after rebuild. i got a loud clacking (read: repeating clack-clack-clack) in a very fast repetition. I'm going to chalk it up to old gas. today I'm going to throw in a bottle of octane booster along with a tank full of premium ( only 91 octane here in north cal ) and I'll repost later tonight to say if that was the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts