TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 lx sport i have a strange noise coming from my diff sounds like road noise when accelerating or coasting but if you let out on the throttle it rattles similar to when you have something stuck inside your cat.......anyone have any ideas? Pinion bearing maybe??

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I would start, by checking the fluid level..
It should be level with the fill plug, in other words you should be able to feel the fluid with your finger inside the fill hole..

Tell us more about your rear end..

Is it completely stock?

Has it ever been serviced?

Any fluid changes done recently?

Are there any obvious signs of seepage/leaks anywhere on the outside of the Differential Housing?

Your description of the noise your car is making back there, sounds a lot like a bad rear U-Joint..
Look at that as well, for any signs of wear..

Rayo..

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think Rayo has some good advise to start with.

Otherwise:

You can put some oil in it and don't look behind you or under your car. Keep driving until it stops going.>:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fluid level was good completely stock rearend ujoints were replaced 5thousand ago no leaks that i can see but i can move the drive shaft up and down a good 1/4 inch or so

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
If it's moving at the flange, the pinion bearing is toast; if it's in the middle of a stock DS, the DS could be the problem.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Where do you live? If you see that you need it rebuilt, or replaced, I have a perfect 3.08 Traction Lock that I will let go Cheap. I am in Clarksville Tn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts