TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently came into possession of a s197 4.6 engine, and i am curious to know if it is possible at all to replace the head on a stock 4.6 Thunderbird engine with a the head of a s195 Mustang 4.6L ??? Is it possible?, and if for some reason not can you please tell me why not? Thank you very much for your time.

-Mike

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
you mean S197? as in 05-07 Mustang? In order to properly run the 3V heads, you need the manifold and the rest of the engine wiring, meaning that to do it proprly, you must swap the engine, wiring, and dash cluster.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
you'd also need the exhaust manifolds and do a custom exhaust setup......also, without the s197 PCM, you would lose the VCT and the CMCV features, thus losing low-end torque and top-end HP compared to a stock s197 mustang gt

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the VCT is really for emissions, you wouldn't notice the loss in power. People also delete the CMCV and gain power.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i know that the VCT also works as a replacement for traditional EGR systems, but doesnt it also retard the cam a few degrees on the top end for more HP?

i can see how deletion of the CMCV would lead to a bit more power since there is no physical obstruction before the head port, but wouldnt the tumble induced at low-RPM, and corresponding low-end torque increase, outweigh the HP gain on the top end?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
VCT can move the cam 50 degrees, and about 40 degrees of it is for emissions. for 10 degrees, the most your really looking at is a 750 rpm shift. Advancing/retarding the cam to change the power band isn't all that effective, as you end up compromising one set of valves to appease the other set.

the CMCV delete doesn't hurt low end as much as one would think. Some have reported no losses at all. I think it's a low throttle drivability part.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/635767-post16.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts