TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine periodically rattles when I step on the gas. This does not happen all of the time but when it happens I notice a loss in power. Its not like a mount vibrating or anything, it's kind of hard to explain. I did advance the timing but that was over a year ago and it doesn't sound like that anyway. Has anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Spark Plugs and Wires! thats my Thought

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
what is your engine temperature at when it does this, what octane are you running, and what is your timing set at? if it only does it occasionally there may be a possibility that you are getting detonation (bad)
-Thomas

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The temp is usually around normal, but it does happen more often when it is running hot. I run 87 octane. I'm not sure what the timing is, I turned the distribuitor to advance it.

·
The Parts Guy
7,421 Posts
:zwthstpd:

That's detonation. It sounds like the timing is too advanced to be running on 87 octane, especially when the engine is running warm. Back the timing down, and this time use a timing light to set it. Remember to pull the SPOUT plug when you set your timing.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
yeah it is a very bad idea to turn the distributor without clocking what it's set at, especially on regular ole 87 octane! You are getting some detonation and that is bad, running on detonation for too long can lead to head gasket failure. Set the timing with a light. Stock timing is 10*, I'd set it between 10*-14* and run a higher octane gas for a while to see if the problem goes away, I can almost guarantee you it will.
-Thomas

·
The Parts Guy
7,421 Posts
Thomas said:
You are getting some detonation and that is bad, running on detonation for too long can lead to head gasket failure.
It isn't exactly good on pistons, sparkplugs, and the engine in general either.

I'd definitely fix that right away.

-Rod

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the thing is its been advanced for more than a year and it just recently started doing this, thats the only thing that turned me away from the detonation suspicion, even though it sounds like it.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
well this summer is hotter than last years so maybe the engine is running a little hotter too. Deffinetely stick a timing light on that and see where youre at, blindly advancing timing is a very bad idea. I've had my timing at 18* before and ran 87 octane in the summer before but I also keep the engine cool. I once had a spark plugs come disconnected from the distributor and that also felt like detonation, and even sounded like it, so maybe make sure all your plugs and wires are in good shape.
-Thomas

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know the plugs are, I've been meaning to get new wires. I can't find our timing light anywhere around though. Will autozone do that for free?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
i doubt they would do timing for free. Just buy a new timing light they're only 15-20 bucks for a basic light, you dont need anything fancy.
-Thomas

·
Registered
460 Posts
One reson that it just started is from carbon build up.

I had some high speed ping and ran some higher octan for a little while and it went away, even with the use of 87. I don't know how running higher ctan for a few tanks helped but it did.

But yea just blindly turning up your timing is a bad thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts