TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start the 'bird, once I drive 50 feet or so, I hear a scraping coming from the driver's side that can best be described as the sound a car makes when bottoming out. It's really brief and, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't affected the driveability at all. It's just something I've noticed and been curious about.

It doesn't occur after I've been stopped for a while (say, at a light), only after I've started the car and driven it. Furthermore, I can leave the car started with no problem, but once I move it, I hear it. Doesn't happen during a 1-2 shift, either. Can be before or after.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
is your steering getting a little harder? sounds like your power steering pump might be going out, the ford power steering pumps make some real funny noises when they start to go out. also check your ABS booster if you have one... it can make some funny noises sometimes too.. i know mine did when it actually worked..

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is your steering getting a little harder? sounds like your power steering pump might be going out, the ford power steering pumps make some real funny noises when they start to go out. also check your ABS booster if you have one... it can make some funny noises sometimes too.. i know mine did when it actually worked..
No ABS, steering is fine.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Sounds like the dust shield behind the brake rotor is touching. Could be once it heats up it moves away enough to miss.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the dust shield behind the brake rotor is touching. Could be once it heats up it moves away enough to miss.
Not trying to shoot you down, but I'm trying to understand here.

If it was touching, wouldn't it scrape the entire way down until it heated up? What's happening now is I drive 50 feet, hear a quick KRRT, then it goes away and doesn't come back. Until the next time I start the car up.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Does it make the sound when you restart after it sat for only a short time or does it only do it whan it sits for a long time and has time to cool down.

I've had one scrape only when I turned a certain way.

But another question. You say quick KRRT. Does it only make this sound once at that 50 foot mark? If so I would guess look into heat shields under the car. My blue bird at a certain RPM has a sound similar to what you describe coming from the cat. It's the metal shielding around it. Note the RPM and see if you can hear it in the driveway sitting still. Just open your door and listen.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it make the sound when you restart after it sat for only a short time or does it only do it whan it sits for a long time and has time to cool down.
Not 100% sure, I'll have to check it out.

But another question. You say quick KRRT. Does it only make this sound once at that 50 foot mark? If so I would guess look into heat shields under the car. My blue bird at a certain RPM has a sound similar to what you describe coming from the cat. It's the metal shielding around it. Note the RPM and see if you can hear it in the driveway sitting still. Just open your door and listen.
Yes, it only makes the sound once. Sometimes I'm turning, sometimes I'm going straight, but regardless, just a quick KRRT and then nothing else. It doesn't seem to occur at any particular RPM - I've driven away at 1200 RPM and had it happen, and I've floored it and had it be at 3000 RPM when it happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts