TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I usually park the bird out at my parents house during the week and drive it on the weekends. Well this morning I went out the start her up and I heard this clicking sound, Car wouldn't turn over. I immedietly thought it was the starter that went bad , but does it just go bad without any signs? Then waited a while and still the clicking sound then Bang it turned over and started. Anyone have any thoughts?? Is my starter on the way out?? I have never had this happen before and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
OMG!!!!

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the weirdest damn thing I've ever heard!!!!

But really, sounds like your starter is done. When I had that problem it was only good for a day or two more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh forgot to mention that one of the positive connections on my battery wasn't secure so I retorqed it tight and I put my battery charger on it to give it some juice. That is when it started right up after a few ticks. Maybe it sat too long in the cold because it started the rest of the day. Starters on our cars are a pain to change. :(

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
JACOB said:
Oh forgot to mention that one of the positive connections on my battery wasn't secure so I retorqed it tight and I put my battery charger on it to give it some juice. That is when it started right up after a few ticks. Maybe it sat too long in the cold because it started the rest of the day. Starters on our cars are a pain to change. :(

looks like you found your problem

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Sounds nothing like a starter to me. :) Sounds like you need to clean your posts and terminals. Bad connections at the battery happen 10 times more than starters quit. :D

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
battery clean the bad boy and put some sealer on it to, this will help since the car sits during the week, that and its gotten colder all of the sudden (at least on the east coast)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am with SW. The battery wasnt getting enough juice to the starter solenoid. Plain and simple.

Starter is most likely fine. Just take the battery cables off, clean the terminals real good(use a wire brush, and then hose them off with water). The clean the inside of the cable ends. Finally, re-secure them, and put a big smudge of anti-corrosive(or vaseline will do) on the teminals, and cable ends. Do this AFTER they are secure to the terminals.

Your problems should be over...until your starter does die...which might not be for 5 more years!

simply put. The clicking sound was the starter solenoid not getting enough juice. Especially if it has been cold out. Your engine/starter need as much of the CCA(cold cranking amps) your battery has when it is cold out, hence the name "CCA'.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the helpful info. Man I love this site and the people on here like joey and sir william.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
im not joey or sir william but i know what its like to drive a ird on the east coast in the cold, i had the same problem and it turned out to be a dead spot on the starter, if it clicks slowly just hold the key instead of repeatedly turning it on and off, it will fire right up. But more than likely its just the battery

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found out the problem. I went to get some gas a t a local gas station. After finshing up and tried to start the car up and nothing. No crank ,no light, etc. looked under the hood and found out my negative battery cable was really Loose! moved it around a little and tried to start it and it made that clicking sound again then started right up. Went home and tightened it up and haven't had a problem since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts